Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what one is better ive got a 100 amp one wire aftermarket and a custom built 3 wire 160 amp remanufactured? ive got use for both one for my rod and one for my truck. which one should i use with each of em. im just looking for a second opinion.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

The best choice is the 3 wire..

The 3 wire has the options for remote sensing, and you can run an idiot light..also the regulator does not require an RPM "Bump" to wake it up..

The 1 wire is very easy to install, but has some draw backs..it needs an RPM bump to get it to charge, it has no provision for remote sensing, It has no provision for Idiot lamp..

And personal preference, Which is at your skill level to best install...

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I agree with Doc. I've always gone under the rule that if you're running a lot of accessories (like Air, stereo etc.) go with the 3 wire. Something simple then a 1 wire will do. I'm no electrical expert but that's the rule of thumb I use.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i believe ill use the 3 wire on my rod then, my old truck will get the other cause it doesent have many accessories. but will the one wire be enough to run extra fog lamps if i decide to use them later?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

100 amps should be just fine on a bare bones truck..

Run lighting relays, and you'll get better performance on the lights with less current loss in the wiring.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I used a 3 wire,
In the event of a failure away from home
EZ to get a replacement
Any parts house would have one that can get you back on the road

Bryan

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Yes, You have to throttle to around 1500 RPM to get the Regulator to turn on ..before or below, it won't be charging or self exciting the alternator..

A Scenario: You, for instance come out on a Cold winter day, start the car, and turn on the wipers, lights, heater, electric defrosters, and let it idle in the driveway to warm up , along with the drain of a "cold start"..and all that time not only will it not be charging, it will be discharging on a max load...If it's a short ride..say, to work, and the battery is weak enough, it may not start 8 hours later..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts