Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I have found. ID stamped on the tube is (T or L)AC 57 2402
on the pumpkin is H (O or 8 or 6)20

I was told Camero. it is going into my 54 Chev and I need to get brakes for this but I dont know what year camero to buy them for and any other info I will need. How do I find out a ratio? and Is this a C clip rear? I will need to pull the axles out if i need to change the backing plates. Can I put the orriginal 54 drum brakes, backing plate and all on this rear?
Thank you for the help!!!
Travis, PA

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,719 Posts
Post pictures and measurements. The first gen Camaro (no E) rear end is 60 inches wide and the second gen Camaro rear end is 61 inches wide. The '67 to '70 Camaro rear end is a 8.2 10 bolt and the '71 to '81 Camaro rear end is the 8.5 10 bolt. Spring perhces are different for mono and multi leaf springs. You can not use the '54 brakes on these rear ends, and they are all c clip rear ends. Chevy didn't use anything other than c clip axles in their cars from '65 and up.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Here is what I have found. ID stamped on the tube is (T or L)AC 57 2402
on the pumpkin is H (O or 8 or 6)20

I was told Camero. it is going into my 54 Chev and I need to get brakes for this but I dont know what year camero to buy them for and any other info I will need. How do I find out a ratio? and Is this a C clip rear? I will need to pull the axles out if i need to change the backing plates. Can I put the orriginal 54 drum brakes, backing plate and all on this rear?
Thank you for the help!!!
Travis, PA
Here is a page on identifying the GM 10 bolt rear end. BTW, the rear end is just a "10 bolt", not anything to do w/"main", main is referring to the bottom end of an engine, like 2-bolt main or 4-bolt main.;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a page on identifying the GM 10 bolt rear end. BTW, the rear end is just a "10 bolt", not anything to do w/"main", main is referring to the bottom end of an engine, like 2-bolt main or 4-bolt main.;)
The main was a brain fart. I know better just didnt realize i wrote that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post pictures and measurements. The first gen Camaro (no E) rear end is 60 inches wide and the second gen Camaro rear end is 61 inches wide. The '67 to '70 Camaro rear end is a 8.2 10 bolt and the '71 to '81 Camaro rear end is the 8.5 10 bolt. Spring perhces are different for mono and multi leaf springs. You can not use the '54 brakes on these rear ends, and they are all c clip rear ends. Chevy didn't use anything other than c clip axles in their cars from '65 and up.
So measuring the distance from the backing plate to axle where the drum goes and it is a 1/4 inch different. Is this why I can not retain the original 54 brakes?
When I recieved this axle it had only bacing plates and no spring perches. Where am I measuring for the 60"s since the drumbs are missing?
Withour knowing what vehicle this rear came from how can I come up with brakes for this rear on a budget? I realize I can get a disc conversion but they are costly. Is there a jumk yard set up that I can use my already installed backing plates?
Or a cheap set up I can put together at the parts store that will fit the existing backing plate on my rear.

·
3,719 Posts
Axle flange to axle flange, where the wheels bolt on, should be 60 inches for a first gen Camaro. The first gen Camaro brakes are the same as all 8.2 10 bolt, 12 bolt and 8.5 10 bolt Chevy brakes up into the late '70s. You can't use the '54 brakes because the housing ends are different and they will not bolt on.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Axle flange to axle flange, where the wheels bolt on, should be 60 inches for a first gen Camaro. The first gen Camaro brakes are the same as all 8.2 10 bolt, 12 bolt and 8.5 10 bolt Chevy brakes up into the late '70s. You can't use the '54 brakes because the housing ends are different and they will not bolt on.
There's a chance the backing plates could be redrilled to match the later housing. But parts availability will be better keeping the later brakes on the housing IMHO.

·
3,719 Posts
Axle hang out on the Camaro rear end will be 2.75 inches. I don't know what the truck axle hang out is, but if it doesn't match then the brakes will still not work. This would have to be measured before going any farther.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok finally got here and measured. 60 inches. its a 8.2 i guess then.

·
3,719 Posts
It's the 8.5 10 bolt, which means it's not a first gen Camaro rear end. The 8.5 wasn't put into production until '71. It could be a second gen Camaro rear end, which would make it 61 inches wide. If it is 60 inches wide then it's a '72 or later Nova, Omega, Ventura or Apolo rear end.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Ok finally got here and measured. 60 inches. its a 8.2 i guess then.
Had you gone to the link I provided you back at post #3 you'd have easily seen it was a 8.5 corporate 10-bolt.;)

The limited info I have shows the rear ratio to have originally been a 2.56, and from a '72 X-body. If it's still got the original diff, it's a 2-series carrier and cannot use 2.73-up gears unless a spacer is used (which I wouldn't recommend). You will probably find it's an open diff anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had you gone to the link I provided you back at post #3 you'd have easily seen it was a 8.5 corporate 10-bolt.;)

The limited info I have shows the rear ratio to have originally been a 2.56, and from a '72 X-body. If it's still got the original diff, it's a 2-series carrier and cannot use 2.73-up gears unless a spacer is used (which I wouldn't recommend). You will probably find it's an open diff anyway.
Yes it is an open. I'm thinking for now this diff will work but I'll upgrade when I drop the 450 hp motor in. I will look up what an X body is and see if I can put together brakes for this rear. I can not afford to drop cash on the disk setups. I may hit up a junk yard and just get a full brake set from them to through on. I'm gonna post a question in the Brake section now to find out what manual brakes I can put on this so I can retain the remaining orriginal brakes on this car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.