Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this 10 bolt unit from a 80 trans am i beleive. The casting number is 410409N it says its a posi unit when i check the number. I has clutches like a posi should but i dont see a pre load spring or the plate and springs and from what i read all posi should have one or either? Is this still a posi without a pre load spring? Hope someone can give me a answer i seem to get many different opinions on it. Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
SSedan64 said:
Should look like the 3rd or 4th Pic on this page>> http://rides.webshots.com/album/55410292AnMJrE if not it's an Open/Non-Posi rear like the 5th Pic.
It does not look like the 3rd and 4th pic because it doesent have the pre load spring, it doesent look like the open unit because mine has the clutches like the posi units have in the 3rd and 4th pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
May have to wait until tomorrow. I'm sure Prostreet6t9 will know what it is.
That link used to have many more Carrier Pics but, now it has lots of broken parts.
Sorry but, I don't recognize it. :confused:
Todd

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
Its hard to tell by the pic, but it almost looks like all the clutchs may not be in the case. Is there excessive play in the side and spider gears?

My above post is incorrect! I was thinking of a different unit. You are missing the S spring in that unit. Thats a GM factory unit. If your only missing the S spring they're pretty easy to come by.

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
Prostreet is correct, it is a GM 8.5" 10-bolt posi, 2 series as indicated by the "9N" at the end of the casting #. Looks like it is missing the S-spring and maybe look at the clutches for assembly mistakes.

8.5" rear 3 series casting # ends with "8N". (I know,... it is numbered backwards to logic)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.