Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used CGC for 10 years. I can not post pictures here jet but you can see it here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1595021-ten-year-of-using-cold-galvanizing-compound.html I posted here because it is obvious that painting experts hang here. Was stalking this forum 10 years go in time of BarryK, Martinsr and crew.
I used CGC once per year. Didn't prepare surface just wash undercarriage and sprayed over surface rust. Frame is healthy. Cgc work at exhaust excellently. I guess because it is where zinc get in direct contact with steel/aluminum.
I'm looking into Cosmoline now. Finally past week come to idea to spray a couple spots at my truck to see how it hold. Like how it get dry to touch (CRC heavy duty rust protector) or little tacky (Crown 6013). Sprayed some even over CGC and so far so good. Will see how it work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting. I see someone on the Ford forum talking about washing. If you drive in salt every day, it isn’t practical and I have actually found washing hurts as much or more than not washing.

I have tried POR and rattle can cold galvanizing spray. Didn’t seem to hold up so I didn’t try either of those more than one time. What I have been doing for 8 years or so is oily products. I went from RustCop to Fluid Film to WoolWax. I liked FluidFilm but it smelled pretty string. I buy 5 gallon buckets and spray about 1 gallon per vehicle once a year. I also have aerosol cans of Krown that I spray inside panels, mostly worrying about the doors. A quick shot in each drain hole goes a long way. Krown seems to be one of the best for wicking, but it seems thin to expect it to hold up to months of slushy salty conditions.

My vehicles are now 8, 10, 13 and 13 years old and they look as good or better than 2 year old cars.

Spraying Woolwax is very satisfying if you get the black stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^ I'm thinking of removing rust how much is possible with Ospho than use to steps system. First Cold galvanizing compound than cosmoline over it. In theory oil paint can not go over CGC because resin of CGC is epoxy. Question right here. How can be resin in CGC epoxy if epoxy is 2 part resin and hardener system?
Back to Cosmoline over CGC. Cosmoline is oil based but how much I understand it do not have oil based SOLVENT for difference of enamels.
It happen when I did test Cosmoline that I oversprayed little over CGC coat and it actually hold well. Now I'm testing that system at my small car and if it will work would switch to 2 coat of CGC and one coat of Cosmoline at top. In my theory Cosmoline should block air to come in and CGC should get care of air that is already in. Per opinion of BarryK and crew no matter how well you clean surface some Oxygen/Iron will be there. I only kick myself why I didn't do more testing before.
I will never use Por 15. Did experimented with it 10 years go and it is not for me.
My main mistake is that I didn't spray anything in cavities. My truck rusted from inside of cavities out. But as I said frame, exhaust and tank are healthy. CGC work liek a excellent antiseize as all bolts open without problem with it over. Again situation of CGC directly in connection with steel bolts.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
"Epoxy" is a much used and abused term ,do some research . you can buy spray can "epoxy" appliance enamel among other things ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My vehicles are now 8, 10, 13 and 13 years old and they look as good or better than 2 year old cars.
Depend what car. Rust problem at Acura tl 2003 is 100 times smaller than at F250 99.. It is easy handle rust at small car.

This is from some guy at internet
----------------------------------------------------------------
I was treating rust spots with a converter then spraying RP - 342 on the undercarriage. It was mostly good after the first winter except for a few chips where I used the converter! For touch up in those areas I skipped the rust converter and sprayed RP-342 directly onto and into the rust. No problem since! The converter was preventing the cosmoline from doing its job. There is no need to treat the rust prior to use other than to get rid of any chips dirt or oil. Spray it directly onto clean dry surface rust. Let dry for a few hours or overnight then apply another coat. The cosmoline creeps down into the rust choking of the moisture and oxygen it needs to spread. I've tried everything this is by far the best way to slow and prevent further rust.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

My line of thinking is that if I use CGC that is very porous and cosmoline over I will have an "active" substance at surface rust, CGC, and an excellent oxygen blocker, Cosmoline.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ Would be nice if someone else check something for long term. There are like tests at youtube guy spray some panels and left them out over winter. It do not say much. It would be nice if someone else would spray truck for years with something and post results with photos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts