Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for original Specs in technical information on the fallowing casting number and partial engine id Casting Number :10243880 Engine ID: 1M0823 8P04. the fallowing is what I've come up with (not sure if accurate) It's a Small Block Chevy block built in Mexico somewhere near August (or possibly June) 23rd of 1996. Original production is from 95-99(?). There are questions as to the following. 350, 4 bolt, Gen. I(?), Crate Engine(?) ZZ4(?) Vortec Roller(?) Roller cam, 1 Piece Rear Main.
What i don't have, and can't seem to find is the Specs on this motor. I don't know what kind of pistons (Rod Length) are required. Specs on cylinder sizes and other technical information.
Can anyone help with this information? We are attempting to build this motor for our local race track (Asphalt Oval 3/8ths mile) 11 Degree Embankment. Typical FAST lap times: 15.65

·
Wrench Turner
4,952 Posts
That is the 880 roller block used for 96 up L31 Vortec 350.If original, it should have #906, or,062 Vortec heads.It will be a 4" bore & uses 5.7" rods in stock form.A few 95 TBI motors also got the 880 block.These will be identified by either a #193, or,#191 cylinder head.I doubt very seriously you will find #882 heads on this block, unless someone put them there for whatever stupid reason.
This block was also used to build several crate engines.The ZZ motors, which would be identified by aluminum heads.They also used this block for the HT383 & HT383E.The latter would have a forged. 3.8" stroke crank, along with either of the standard Vortec heads.The 350 HO & 350 Ramjet also used the #880 block.

·
Wrench Turner
4,952 Posts
Yeah I think its also the block for the 290/260 hp crate motors if it came as a crate motor it could easily be 882 heads. But your right joker probably is a vortec block if its an oem and not a crate engine. I think GM uses this block for a lot of there crate engines. Would be nice if it turned out to be a factory 383. Either way with vortec heads would be a plus even if the op didnt want to use them they sell fast on the net. a ZZ motor would be great.

I thought the op said it was purchased as a crate motor must have read that wrong but if just a used engine its more likely a vortec. If purchased as a crate it could have the older smog heads. Most of the time if you have purchased a performance gm engine you will brag about it during resale so its likely the low po engine or the stock vortec. Either way its a great start for a performance engine.

Defiantly got powdered metal rods and one piece seal crank and also can use factory roller if one is not installed.
The 260/290 crate motors use 2 piece rear seal blocks.

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
Looking for original Specs in technical information on the fallowing casting number and partial engine id Casting Number :10243880 Engine ID: 1M0823 8P04. the fallowing is what I've come up with (not sure if accurate) It's a Small Block Chevy block built in Mexico somewhere near August (or possibly June) 23rd of 1996. Original production is from 95-99(?). There are questions as to the following. 350, 4 bolt, Gen. I(?), Crate Engine(?) ZZ4(?) Vortec Roller(?) Roller cam, 1 Piece Rear Main.
What i don't have, and can't seem to find is the Specs on this motor. I don't know what kind of pistons (Rod Length) are required. Specs on cylinder sizes and other technical information.
Can anyone help with this information? We are attempting to build this motor for our local race track (Asphalt Oval 3/8ths mile) 11 Degree Embankment. Typical FAST lap times: 15.65
This is the 1995-2000 L-31 Vortec roller block. In production is was also used by the 1995 LO5 Swirl Port TBI engine with a flat tappet cam. These may or not have the roller cam provisions machined complete but will at least have those casting provisions in place. It is a one rear piece seal block and can be as machined from the factory either a 2 or 4 bolt main. This block will also show up in post 2000 crate engines for both the LO5 swirl port TBI replacement and the L31 standard and heavy duty Vortec headed engines.

The built up engines could either have a cast or forged crankshaft, forged most likely with the 4 bolt version of the block. All rods are 5.7 inch powder forgings, all pistons are hyper-eutectic castings with a circular dish.

Heads on the built engine will be 14102191 76 cc LO5 swirl port or 14102193 64 cc LO5 swirl port for 1995; with 10239906 and 12558062 64 cc L31 Vortec used for 1996-2000 production and post 2000 L31 Crate engines.

Bogie

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
880 castings are a 1 piece seal some set up for fuel pumps some not. Set up for factory spider and hyd roller lifters.

And are only as good as a sonic test one came in last week and failed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts