Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 12 bolt that came out of a 71 or 72 chevelle/monte carlo. and the spring perches are flat.

When I pulled out my old 10 bolt out of my 70 elky the springs had a little "hat" like perch that held the spring in place. So Im guessing something bolts in there. So what Im asking is what do I look for and where might I be able to find it?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
64 to early 67 Chevelle rears have Flat spring perches, the bottom of the spring has a Pigtail that bolts to the flat surface / bolt-on "ear" that clamped the rear spring down. Late 67-72 rears have the Hat type spring locator and round end springs. Someone may have bolted an earlier 12 Bolt rear in.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
elcaminodragster said:
Okay then my next question would be.

Where can I find the clamp downs for the springs?

Can I use my current springs??? They have the little pig tail at each end.
I don't know where those clamps can be found, other than under another car.
The Flat type spring mounts are also 3/4" lower than the newer Hat style. The Older springs have a larger diameter Pig tail portion. You could cut the spring mounts off your 10 Bolt and swap them to your 12 Bolt then use your current springs.
I tried to find some Pics of the other springs but, haven't had any luck yet. I have a new set buried in the shop somehere. May be easier to jack my car up then try & find them. LOL! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
elcaminodragster said:
What if I where to make something like a thick washer to weld in place like the hat style rears?

LOL yes that might be easier but hey a good hunt for parts is fun ;)
Should work also. Piece of pipe with round piece on top with hole through the center welded together. Would be easier than swapping perches. :thumbup:

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
You could use a short piece of tubing to make the tall portion of the hat and weld it to the flat pad. Take a 1" long piece of .062"+ wall tubing that has a small enough OD to fit the pigtail portion of the spring, weld it on the perch on the inside of the tube so it doesn't interfere with the spring seating.

You could also fashion a strap to hold the spring to the current perch with something like 1" wide x 5/16-3/8" thick steel strip, heat and hammerform it to what you need.

·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As long as its tall enough that the spring cant hope over it. And the tubing is thick enough that it wont buckle under and kind of pressure. It should work just fine I think.

All I have to do is brush up on my welding skills :D

And as far as it being 3/4" lower doesnt bug me really. As long as Im not slammed to the ground that I have to slow down to miss rocks Im good lol.

·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ericnova72 said:
You could use a short piece of tubing to make the tall portion of the hat and weld it to the flat pad. Take a 1" long piece of .062"+ wall tubing that has a small enough OD to fit the pigtail portion of the spring, weld it on the perch on the inside of the tube so it doesn't interfere with the spring seating.

You could also fashion a strap to hold the spring to the current perch with something like 1" wide x 5/16-3/8" thick steel strip, heat and hammerform it to what you need.

I like the tubing idea better. Im not good with a hammer. I tend to do more damage then good with a hammer lol. Thats why im a mechanic and not a carpenter. . . But then again that is my job right now :spank: lol

·
Registered
960 Posts
Chassis Engineering sells the coil spring mounting parts; you may need to buy the "whole" mount setup however. Wrecking yard for just the large recessed type "washers" you need; probably ANY coil spring car should have usable parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.