Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about 12 cylinder Lincolns? How many cubes, how many horses and are they at all useful? I was thinking that they would make really impressive hot rod engines, but I have never seen one used. Is their a reason they are neglected, or are they just too rare to use?
Thanks Again.
Z

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Lincoln Long block 12 cylinder engine.

That goes back a ways...the LeSal/sp? had a 12 cylinder engine I think. Don't know how many years it was produced, may have been around about the end of the flattys. Then Ford went with the Y block setup I think. Finally something interesting in the Lounge.....HURRAY!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
109 Posts
From 1936-1948, Lincoln made three different V-12s: 268, 292, and 305 inchers. I couldn't find the horsepower ratings. I did stumble across a web site for a speed shop that specializes in them a few years ago. Unfortunately, since I don't have a Lincoln V-12, I never bothered to write down the address. I seem to recall a "race-ready" V-12 going for around $5000 complete. Try a web search. Happy hunting!:thumbup:

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
I have an original 12cyl Lincoln/Zephyr service manual out in the garage. It is the actual shop repair manual put out by Lincoln that covers 1936-1949(I believe). If you are looking for something specific, I could go out and get it later.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy smokes that motorcycle looks tough. It would be nice to see more of the old engines used for rods. Seeing nothing but SBC's is such a letdown. Old Hemi's, nailheads, flatheads, and maybe a 12 cylinder now and then would be great.

·
Rebuilt Excitment
595 Posts
At the scottsdale Barrett-Jackson auction this year on speedvision a 39 Zeypher with the original V-12 Flatty hottrodded out to the max sold for a record of around 400.000.00. It had a lot of magizine coverage last year.

·
Registered
358 Posts
have a look at my avatar..... I'm somewhat familiar with V12 Lincolns!

in 36 Lincoln came out with the Zephyr V12. (an "everyman's Lincoln") the Zephyr V12 (H-Series) was the 267, 110 HP. It shared nothing with the 414, it was actually a Ford V8 with 4 extra holes. HV-12 (Zephyr) motors are around, but there are virtually no performance parts available, custom is the only way you might stand a chance. They are available, but grossly underpowered for their length. pretty much a novelty only. (same with the LaSalle, Caddy, and Packard engines.) The 414 is a superb engine, but any car that has one is a "full classic" and shouldn't be diddled with. The big Lincolns were in the $6-10K range new then, the Zephyr around $1400, and a new Chevy or Ford was around $600.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.