Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and I just got a 1955 IH R100 and previous owner got the conversion started but he got as far as just installing the 12v alternator but I have no gagues or any headlight and tail lights I've order a 8 circuit harness kit and some 12v to 6volt reducers I was wondering if anyone has done this to their truck if you could guide me in a direction or could show me some pics of how u did it? Thank you

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts

·
Administrator
8,477 Posts
Well, you say you ordered an 8 circuit wiring kit so I assume the wiring is in rough shape.
It is a bit challenging for a novice but not an insurmountable task by any means
Basically all the bulbs need changed to 12 volt bulbs. Install the alternator, wiring it correctly ( very important) lots of guys here know how to wire the 3 wire setup which is highly recommended ,
And then with the gauges you will need to identify the key on ignition source for them to hook the voltage reducer to so it supplys the 6 volts it is desinged to supply for the gauge ignition feed wire. The ground side of the gauges wont change
One step at a time.
Make a plan.
Start with the 8 circuit harness. Get it installed.Then hook up power to test the lighting portion .
Then move to the ignition circuit and the gauge feed +.
Dont forget you will also need a 12 volt ignition coil for this. Get one with a built in ballast resistor for the engine you have ( 4 cyl - 6 cyl -8 cyl whatever)
The starter , dont worry. That ol six volt starter has pretty heavy windings and will wing that motor over nicely
If you have an engine conversion, then chances are you have a 12 volt starter

What engine are you running BTW?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I converted a 52 ford truck to 12 volts and at the time I bought a 12 volt battery with a 6 volt post in the middle for the gauges. I do not know if they are still made. Or you could install two 6 volt batteries in series.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
Speedway sells the voltage reducers for instruments. Replace all the bulbs with 12v. This is pretty straightforward. The 6v switches and wiring are sized for higher current than the 12v system needs, so they are fine if in good shape.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you I went ahead and ordered one .
Well, you say you ordered an 8 circuit wiring kit so I assume the wiring is in rough shape.
It is a bit challenging for a novice but not an insurmountable task by any means
Basically all the bulbs need changed to 12 volt bulbs. Install the alternator, wiring it correctly ( very important) lots of guys here know how to wire the 3 wire setup which is highly recommended ,
And then with the gauges you will need to identify the key on ignition source for them to hook the voltage reducer to so it supplys the 6 volts it is desinged to supply for the gauge ignition feed wire. The ground side of the gauges wont change
One step at a time.
Make a plan.
Start with the 8 circuit harness. Get it installed.Then hook up power to test the lighting portion .
Then move to the ignition circuit and the gauge feed +.
Dont forget you will also need a 12 volt ignition coil for this. Get one with a built in ballast resistor for the engine you have ( 4 cyl - 6 cyl -8 cyl whatever)
The starter , dont worry. That ol six volt starter has pretty heavy windings and will wing that motor over nicely
If you have an engine conversion, then chances are you have a 12 volt starter

What engine are you running BTW?
It still has the original 220 in it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts