Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
I just use a shaft that fits the tool and make a head for it and weld it on the shaft... Works fine so far..

Sam

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
beading dies

A few years ago I took the panel fab class, at UVU, they have a street rod, series of classes, I was over 65 and the "grandpa" cost was only $ 100 per semester, The regular students had to pay over $1100. They had a commercial planishing hammer, I don't know the brand, and an assortment of dies. You can do the beading and flanging with the right dies. The lower beading die has a tab welded to it that was held so it wouldn't rotate with a hose clamp. I used it a couple times when the pullmax was booked up . I have started building a smaller "pulmax" type machine out of a heavy cast iron frame from a carton stapling machine, you should be able to copy most of the pullmax type dies.

·
put up or shut up
3,144 Posts
yes, they do some amazing things. I can totally see the point in stopping it from spinning. Thanks for all the advice guys. Once I'm done with my current project my in-between project will be to get my garage up to par, including the p hammer anvils.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I'm glad this thread was brought back into the rotation, as I missed it previously! That's a clever trick with the HF hammer hanging from an engine hoist to work as a portable planisher! Since I do very little of this type of work, I think this little HF tool would be a good addition when I get my shop built.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
building your own dies

From the UK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGaaqxUbXv4

I see that he has a lower height adjuster, would work a lot better than the Harbor freight 3 position clicker.
I bought a couple sissor jacks for a buck apiece to use the Acme thread and nut.
ther have been a lot of posts about reworking the HF bead roller but nothing on the planishing hammer other than cBoys repairs, I had to do the same thing to mine after a couple days.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts