Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i got a 1979 firebird im redoing right now with rediculous 2.73 gears or even worse and its got a 135 hp 2 barrel 301 that belongs at the end of a chain on a boat for use as a anchor, im looking to put a sbc 350 and posi 3.42s in it theres a 89 running 350 still in a silverado in town for dirt cheap and i believe 1989s are roller blocks???? my questions are do they still have the provision for a mechanical fuel pump? and how do i make sure its a roller block??? all this cam failures people have been having have me scared to build a flat tappet engine again

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
It may or may not be a roller block,altho it will not have a roller cam from the factory, It may have the fuel pump boss,but some werent drilled for the pushrod. Howards Cams makes very affordable roller cam retrofit kits,that seem to be very high quality.
Shane

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
well 2.73 is about the worst ratio for any rpm or p[erformance

even the chevy 305 are moderately fast, with a good axle ratio

i would start with a rear ratio swap

no matter the engine

then go to engine if need be

2.73 is gonna be a dog no matter the engine

except for bigger olds engines which were made for low rpm torque pulling and would make for a fast car with 2.73

altohugh most of the mid 70s and up engine were smoggers with garbage camshafts and made for low rpm performance

but still.,.

3.42 at minimum is what id get if youre wanting something that will be fun

for most any engine

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually i just checked the rear axle out i am currently doing a pretty deep resto just got down blasted the floors and rear end off its a code 2.41 not 2.73 even worse hah i was looking around i cant find any gear a pinion sets for 2.41s they all say 2.73 and up, i want to at least put 3.42s in if not 3.73s

i got a ad on my local craigslist 1997 chevy 350 runs great still in jeep with 1981 heads on it 200 or best offer someone emailed me so im gonna go snatch that up for sure obviously itd be roller cam if its a 1997 engine right??

im gonna change the engine for sure the 301 has water in the oil and the flywheel is shot it makes a horrible noise when turning it over before it starts haha and ive been wanted to build a roller cam vortec headed 350 for a while, to see how it compares to my air flow research headed 355 with 4.11s

·
Registered
650 Posts
Dont forget to get all the accesories brackets, exhaust manifolds, frame and motor mounts, for the SBC. You may also need a different transmission(if yours doesnt have the dual pattern mounting face). MY personal choice would be to find a 400 Pontiac to put it there, so it doesnt become just another belly button car.

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
FmrStrtracer said:
Dont forget to get all the accesories brackets, exhaust manifolds, frame and motor mounts, for the SBC. You may also need a different transmission(if yours doesnt have the dual pattern mounting face). MY personal choice would be to find a 400 Pontiac to put it there, so it doesnt become just another belly button car.
I agree! Even the 350 Pontiac would be much better than the 301.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yea i got a pontiac 69 350 and a 76 400 laying around but there just to expensive to rebuild 600 bucks at northern auto parts for a master rebuild kit!!! anyone know where to get rebuild parts cheap im open ears and would love to rebuild the 400, but flat tappet cams are scary it seems no one has one that doesnt go flat, hah i only want about 500 into the motor im redoing the car to sell and people that looked at it already before say its just to slow to even drive, it probably turns about 20 in the quarter mile haha with the 301 and 2.41 gears, i know what your saying about all the brackets and stuff, maybe ill try to find a running pontiac engine, ahh now im confused what i should do, im gonna look and see if i can find a cheap rebuild kit anywhere for a pontiac,

what if i changed the gears to lets say a 3.73 would it make the car at least driveable?? right now it is dangerously slow

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
3.73s would be okay if you don't do any highway driving where the RPMs would drive you nuts. Something in the 3.50 range would be better, and it would be a lot better than 2.78 for acceleration, and they would be good behind a 350 or 400, if you were to find one.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If youre just looking to flip the car, put some 3.23-3.55 gears in it and call it a day. If someone wants it faster, they can do what they want after they buy it.

Make sure your 301 is tuned properly and you dont have a clogged catylatic converter choking off the exhaust. They may not be the fastest thing out there, but if its running right, it shouldnt be a danger to drive, I owned one in the 80's, nice daily driver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.