Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Minnesota trooper writes 205 mph speeding ticket

Associated Press

WABASHA, Minn. - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a Stillwater motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license - and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

·
il enforcer
75 Posts
<< unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.>>

I don't care what you are wearing. Hitting anything at that speed
will no doubt turn you into road kill. Your head may be in one piece but it is longer is attached to your body.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Here's one from the Unbelievable File:

On July 11, a friend of mine was drag racing a snowmobile on asphalt. He wrecked doing 135 mph, or at least the sled was tumbling through the lights at 135!. He broke his ankle, and bruised a rib. He was wearing a 2 piece leather suit, leather gloves/boots an a full face helmet. Anything less would have made him roadkill. :nono:

I made numberous passes on the same track at 135 for the last few years. They had one sled doing 8.41 @ 164. Steve Wisnewski with Brett Hoag tuning it. 1404 cc sled with Nos. Full tilt boogie !!

·
Registered
118 Posts
The fastest Honda I am aware of is the CBR1100XX aka the Blackbird. In stock form it has about 135 hp and tops out at near 175mph.

That guy should be able to fight this somewhat. Since the cop only timed him by stopwatch, there is no radar lock to give a precise speed.

Then again, I guess 190 in a 65 is not much different than 205 in a 65.....

·
Registered
215 Posts
That guy should be able to fight this somewhat. Since the cop only timed him by stopwatch, there is no radar lock to give a precise speed.
VASCAR, which is what our aircraft are equipped with, works on a simple distance/time = speed formula.

The resultant speed is the AVERAGE speed the vehicle was traveling over that distance, unlike radar which, when locked, gives the high speed. The speed derived by using a VASCAR or a stopwatch really means the vehicle could have been going faster than 205 at some point during the clock.

The aircraft marks were 1/4 mile apart and it took the vehicle 4.39 seconds to travel that distance so the formula would work as follows:

1/4 mile = .25

.25/4.39 = .056947608 miles per second

Convert that to MPH by multiplying the answer times 3600 which is the number of seconds in an hour.

.056947608 x 3600 = 205.0113895 mph The decimals are dropped so the vehicle was traveling at 205.

If the pilot/trooper was using VASCAR, the unit does all those calculations for him. If he was using a stop watch as the article says, he has a chart with all the calculations figured out. He just looks at the time on the stop watch, then looks at the chart for the speed.

It's actually very simple, and very very accurate.

Certainly the driver can fight it, BUT, think about this. Here's a guy who got THE HIGHEST SPEEDING ticket every written in Minnesota. So he pays the fine, gets suspended but eventually he will get his license back. HE HAS BRAGGING RIGHTS and a footnote in the history books. Believe me, he will be talked about at the Minnesota State Patrol training Academy as well as other training academys around the country....including ours. We already have the article posted.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a GL1000 Goldwing. The wife won't let me drive it, she says "You have a 1/4" of fibreglass between your pumpkin and the asphalt." She might be right, but I'm still driving it when I get the carbs.

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
I drove the Minnesota interstate last month on vacation ....

They generally "Suck" ............

I can't see anyone going that fast on a Minnesota road, unless it was brand new.

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
I can honestly say I don't think I've ever even gone 140 MPH. I like speed, but my speed comes on a 3/8's mile oval, no room for them speeds.

That kinda speed is stupid on public roads. Not to mention the fine would be unreal large up here, add in points, and wow I'd be collectin pop bottles for the rest of my life.

bonuts

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I'd be collectin pop bottles for the rest of my life.
Excuse me sir,I hate to bother you,but when you finish that Pepsi would you mind giving me the can?I have a fine to pay.
Hehehehehe

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Poncho, I have family in Newport & Woodbury, trhe same area, theyve recently redid U.S.hwy61 along there LOL

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not argueing the point here but Honda doesnt make a 1000 cc bike that will do 200 even when modified 2 companies do suzuki (hayabusa) kawasaki (zx12r) I ride a yamaha R1 so Im not baised at all. But that cop needs a radar gun.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've been in the passanger seat with the driver doing 160MPH on I95 and even that felt like death was on your shoulder. Doing 200, he's a brave soul! I'll give him that.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts