Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
God how cool is that! Thanks for sharing, we need to honor those birds and the men who flew them so they aren't forgotten.

Brian

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
God how cool is that! Thanks for sharing, we need to honor those birds and the men who flew them so they aren't forgotten.

Brian
Brian neither will be forgotten IMHO they are too much a part of history. Perhaps in a hundred more years when WWII will not be remembered by anyone living.

Vince

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got to see inside a Lancaster cockpit, very cramped and all that metal must have been freezing at altitude.

What happened here, I´m stumped :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I recently got an up close and personal look at a Lancaster. The first of the month the wife and I did a Caravan tour of the Canadian Rockies. In Nanton Alberta the tour bus stopped at an air museum and they had a flying Lancaster. I was surprised at how small it actually was.

Vince

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
I recently got an up close and personal look at a Lancaster. The first of the month the wife and I did a Caravan tour of the Canadian Rockies. In Nanton Alberta the tour bus stopped at an air museum and they had a flying Lancaster. I was surprised at how small it actually was.

Vince
you should google the lancaster dam busters. very interesting how these planes were used, the men who flew them, and the physics involved in the bomb design and delivery. I will see if can find a video and post it here

nanton is a pretty cool museum, was reletively close to my home. (3 hrs, but in Alberta, that is close, lol!)

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
Absolutely Wonderful!!! By any chance these Spit's weren't part of this years Goodwood Revival were they? I know they were showcasing a Lancaster and War Birds are always present. Any time you can get that number of a specific War Bird's together it's gotta be special. I attended a airshow in Columbus Ohio two or three years back that showcased the P51. They had slated 100 P51's to attend but due to a huge storm the day before there were only about half showed up. What a sight! I walked down a triple row of Mustangs for a good part of the day. That Canadian Lancaster was also there as well as assortment of light and heavy American ships. To see 50 P51's in formation at one time . Wow! I just went to the Reno Air Races a couple of weeks ago and the Brit's were represented by both Spitfires and Hawker Sea Furies. God I love those old airplanes! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: BB

·
16,464 Posts
BB, I haven't been to the Reno Air races in 20 years and I sure do miss it, I need to get out there. One of the most exciting time I ever had was going with a buddy where we went out to the end of the base on the north west corner. We were out there with a bunch of real die hards with pilot to pilot radio receivers! They had speakers up on the roof of their cars and we were hearing the pilots talking to one an other "I'm under you, I'm under you" just letting each other know where they were so they didn't smack into each other! "coming down on the right" (As I remember they DID say right and left :confused:) They flew right by us just a few hundred feet away and you could see their faces! One came wide over the last pylon right over us not more than 150 feet or so! It was WILD! But riding up on my motorcycle and sleeping on the ground was another trip, what great memories of my more carefree days.

Brian

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
Yeah I've done that also. They have closed a lot of the "up close " areas in the last few years. A friend of mine gets "special" pases through his work and we use them. This year we had the same passes the media get.You can go everywhere. Fortunately for me the only year that I have missed in a bunch of years was last year. The year before we had front row box seats. Right where the P51 went in. There but for the grace of God it could have been me. The Races are always great. Talk about a expensive hobby! Reno's the last of it's kind.

·
16,464 Posts
Talk about a expensive hobby! Reno's the last of it's kind.
Holy cow, that's an understatement! It makes full on 6 figure show cars in the main area at the Grand Nationals look like our model building thread! :sweat:

Brian

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
BTW, the lancaster at Nanton is, IIRC, one of the bombers that flew the dam busting missions. I will have to dig out my info from the visit years ago.
Was this the Lancaster that was rescued a number of years back . It was used as a pedalsted display and had been vandalized. I know that ship was restored.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.