Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 1925 t body with all wood gone... How hard to build up ,tack weld panels and build frame from square tubing or find wood?? Also what best for frame box stock or use new built... Building old school, nothing fancy, have good body do not want to chop but wanting to run fenderless. My first attempt at this so any help or pointers would be great!! Thanks

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
There's a ton of info on the net for T's. Some of our members have plans for frames, try a search on this site. Your limitations will be your skills, time and mone, check out some of the plans and pictures to get an idea. Good luck with our project, keep us posted. Dan

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The wood is available from various sources. Try Snyder's Antique Auto Parts in New Springfield OH.
Remember when these were built they were the cheapest car you could buy,and the fit and finish were not the greatest. If you want the thing to be perfect you've got some work ahead. A steel framework is possible and would require some careful assembly and welding.
A frame of .180 wall 2 X 3 or 2 X 4 steel tubing is what you need to build for the car.
There are many sets of plans floating around the net for free and Total Performance in Wallingfor CT offers their Assembly Manual for $25 or so, a good buy for good information but not plans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
25 t frame

If you use orginal model t frame do you make kick up in frame for stance or just box frame and go from there.. Have fenders and running boards for the t but thought about building fenderless with no top chop .. Would the stright frame without kick up in rear work?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Let's get more information here.
Exactly what 1925 T body do you have?
Coupe
Roadster
Tudor Sedan
Fordor Sedan
Roadster Pickup
C-cab Pickup
Closed Cab Pickup
Touring Car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for reply.. Have 1925 ford coupe. Doors are steel on inside rather than wood lined... All wood gone from body... Every part is there just apart.. Has running boards and fenders but missing right front fend. Thought might build up without stock fenders just small cycle type...Thanks for any info you can supply

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
All Model T frames were the same. A T bucket frame will work for you if you are not using the original fenders. Snyder's has wood kits for your body. I am not sure of the 25 but the 26/27 T coupes used the wood in the body to attach the upholstery and only for minimal support. The wood on the top was used for support and to attach the roof material. You can replace the top wood with square tubing like in the pic below. Or you could build a wood framework like the sedan below. There is also a pic of the wood in the back of the sedan body for reference of how they did it. The last pic is of my favorite T coupe build.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Before you get too wound up in this project you will need to decide if you want a full-fendered car with runningboards and aprons or a lower looking car with no fenders or cycle style fenders front and rear.
SO you'll know, the stock wheelbase is 100" on the Ts. Depending on engine selected you'll have to sink the engine into the firewall at that dimension. If you are going fenderless and hoodless, you can extend the frame in the front enough to use the firewall "as is" position wise without a problem.
You can do the same with the car with fenders but you'll need to get longer runningboards and aprons made or extend them yourself by splicing other boards and aprons to the old ones. A special lengthened hood can be made as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
25 t ford

Thanks for all the info.. Any more pictures of t coupes without fenders or with.. Here in western ky. not many around... Any photos would help.. Thanks

·
Registered
7,045 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I building the same thing you are! I agree with what others have posted here you don't want to use the original frame they are to weak and flexable. I've talk to guys that have restored T's and they say any speed over 40 mph and you'll end up in the ditch or into a tree. They say this because of the frame flexing so much. So take it out and all the drivetrain and sell to someone restoring an original.
There is a guy that sells full scale wood plans for the 25 T Coupe. I plan to get a set just for patterns to copy for steel, probably use 1" square tube then attach wood inside to put interior on.
If your is like mine the wood was all gone and I'm not sure of the original width the body should be at, that is why I was going to get the wood plans so I know what the body should be like.

Here is his info if you need a set of plans. He sells them for $80 if he has not changed his price. Again they are FULL size plans!

Ron Buckley
PO Box 124
48 Cooperage Lane
Port Williams,
Nova Scotia, Canada
B0P 1T0
E-mail: [email protected]

I'm going to build a frame from 2x3 and not cut into the firewall so there will be more leg room inside. I'm going to use a rear kick up on the frame but as little as possible so i can retain as much of the trunk area as possible. I'm thinking of a wheelbase of about 110" .

Good luck and maybe we can help each other along the way.
Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Joe thanks for info... The guys at this site are great at giving out info... From their help I have less concerns about building up 25 t.. Can build old school style but be safe.. Latter Thanks!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts