Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1930 ford coupe with a pete and jakes frame by brinkman the left front shock mount broke off taking part of the frame with it, what woud cause that maybe no play in the shock maybe needs another spring not much bounce when you push down on the front bumper.too much angle on the shock?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
looks to me like there is no travel in the shock, that it is fully compressed. No wonder there is no play in the front. Take off the other side then bounce the front and see if yiou get more,.Take it to a rod shop and get them to set it right. :welcome:

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
Agree with Bob. Looks like the shock is too long and fully(or nearly) compressed at ride height. Wrong shock length, wrong ride height, or wrong shock mount length for that low ride height, or front spring too low or too weak. Something is wrong, looks like fatigue from bottoming out the shock, putting the force into the frame tube and tearing it out. It didn't happen overnight, it has been slowly cracking.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Most definitely incorrect shock length.

Check out the shock on my 1932 Ford 3W coupe.

Remove both the shocks and see how much travel you have ;)

Deuce ... Moderator

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I welded the shock mount back to the frame this is how the shock looks at ride height it has some travel ,to me it seems OK?
do you think adding another spring is necessary?a smaller shock?
are the springs at 45%? it looks the same as the 32 Ford 3 window coupe on this tread.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.