Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im installing a small block in my 31 3w coupe(chevy) and was wondering on a standard tranny, id like to see some custom clutch pedal setups from scratch!! not just the clutch pedal but the entire mechanics of how it works, especially the fork actuation ..thanks

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Most rodders do run automatics NOW ...
The early cars just do not have a lot of room in the floorboard area. Fabricating clutch linkage, and then driving a manual shift rod in Rod Run Traffic tends to discourage rodders from going manual shift. The automatics now work so well and have Overdrive ... :rolleyes:

IF ... I was going to use a manual shift transmission in a early rod ... I would find a early 60's Chevrolet pickup truck with the hydraulic clutch set up. They work great ... and are fairly easy to adapt. I installed one years ago in a 34 Ford coupe. The down side is you see the hydraulic cylinder on the firewall ... :embarrass

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Honetly a lot of us go with hydraulic actuators on those..Much easier..If you insist however look at some old ford pickups and do something like what henry did in the first place..quite a bit of figuring to get the leverage correct so the cluch is easy to operate and yet gets the correct clutch release travel..

Sam

·
The Maintenance Geek
263 Posts
The '57 Ford F100 used a hydraulic set up that is
fairly easy to adapt to just about any manufacturers
clutch assembly, just a mount for the master, and
a mount for the slave with a hose between them is all
thats needed...

K

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
bates_k said:
The '57 Ford F100 used a hydraulic set up that is
fairly easy to adapt to just about any manufacturers
clutch assembly,

K
But the early 60's Chevrolet truck V8 bellhousing one is set up for a SBC ... :)
no adapting ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts