Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if I can buy a insert metal roof panel for a 1931 Ford Model A 2 door, or do I need to fabricate one. If I can buy one where would I go to buy it, and if I need to fabricate one, I have heard that a roof of a Chevy Astro van can be made to fit. If anybody has a better suggestion I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for all the help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Astro van is a great source for a filler. They used to use station wagon tops but there aren't any station wagons around any longer! Go to your local Pick-A-Part and see how much one would cost. Probably need a cordless circular saw w/ metal cutting blade to harvest it.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I have always used "M" (Astro) van roof sections or Chrysler mini-van (Voyager). The Voyager vans have several different rib patterns thru the years.

·
Registered
108 Posts
steve,

Probably going to have guys on here mad at me for mentioning this, but I prefer to use a smooth roof w/o ribs. I used a roof from a 1960 Rambler Ambassador on my 34 chevy master sedan. (installed backwards, fits like it was made for it).
I know there are guys who cringe at cutting a roof off of older vehicles, but if they are gone other wise it is nice to have the heavier gauge metal. I have used a roof off a 56 chevy four door for a model a coupe and it fits great, may want to measure one if possible to see if it was long enough for a sedan. One last word of advice, check the bottom side of roof if possible for severity of rust and damage if possible. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
35prog said:
steve,

Probably going to have guys on here mad at me for mentioning this, but I prefer to use a smooth roof w/o ribs. I used a roof from a 1960 Rambler Ambassador on my 34 chevy master sedan. (installed backwards, fits like it was made for it).
I know there are guys who cringe at cutting a roof off of older vehicles, but if they are gone other wise it is nice to have the heavier gauge metal. I have used a roof off a 56 chevy four door for a model a coupe and it fits great, may want to measure one if possible to see if it was long enough for a sedan. One last word of advice, check the bottom side of roof if possible for severity of rust and damage if possible. Good luck.
That's where the vintage station wagons come in. A lot of them had smooth roofs so if you can find one that's a great option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts