Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone with experience of street beast builds. I recently found a 34 ford coupe street beast kit car in a storage unit. It appears to be all there and just as ordered by the owner. Nothing has been started on it and it’s in pieces from the factory. The owner wants to sell it because he doesn’t have the talent, place or money to do anything with it. My question is how much is it worth asis? It has the ford 9” rear and mustang ll front suspension. Complete with brakes steering and interior. Any advice positive would be great.

·
Registered
597 Posts
FYI, the company is out of business so replacements parts are not in supply. the body is a 1 piece unit & nothing from any other company will fit. the company had changed ownership/went bankrupt 2 or 3 times due to poor customer service & quality. CMC/ Street Beasts are not popular with most rodders.

with that said, if you have the skills,tools,time & money, they can be made to look good.

I know where a "Vicky" model ,waiting to be assembled, is sitting for sale for the last 8 years, the man wants 10 grand

my opinon is, if you can get it for less than 3 or 4 grand & posses the above...go for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI, the company is out of business so replacements parts are not in supply. the body is a 1 piece unit & nothing from any other company will fit. the company had changed ownership/went bankrupt 2 or 3 times due to poor customer service & quality. CMC/ Street Beasts are not popular with most rodders.

with that said, if you have the skills,tools,time & money, they can be made to look good.

I know where a "Vicky" model ,waiting to be assembled, is sitting for sale for the last 8 years, the man wants 10 grand

my opinon is, if you can get it for less than 3 or 4 grand & posses the above...go for it.
Thank you for the info, I did research the company and complaints from fellow builders. I have built several drag cars and restored a lot of corvettes so I think I have the skills . That being said I always wanted a 34 ford three window And thought this might be a good build . The guy wants $10000 cad witch is approximately $7000 us.

·
More for Less Racer
19,477 Posts
To add, if you are just looking to buy it to flip, consider anything over about $2500 to be a risk and you may have to sit on it a long time to make anything more than a slight profit.

these cars have a bad rep, and there has been a number of guys come here in the past asking where to get parts after they bought a "complete car, unassembled, everythng is there in boxes" from someone only to find out that even with boxes and boxes of parts they are still missing a dozen or more critical small pieces of trim or interior backers or window/door handle mechanism stuff for the doors,etc and are left with no choice but to fabricate it themselves or pay someone to do it.....a bottomless money pit for a guy who can't do it all himself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To add, if you are just looking to buy it to flip, consider anything over about $2500 to be a risk and you may have to sit on it a long time to make anything more than a slight profit.

these cars have a bad rep, and there has been a number of guys come here in the past asking where to get parts after they bought a "complete car, unassembled, everythng is there in boxes" from someone only to find out that even with boxes and boxes of parts they are still missing a dozen or more critical small pieces of trim or interior backers or window/door handle mechanism stuff for the doors,etc and are left with no choice but to fabricate it themselves or pay someone to do it.....a bottomless money pit for a guy who can't do it all himself.
True, I wanted it to build myself a rod. I realize there are Pit falls with kit cars left for several years and moved a few times. I would prefer a real 34 but they are hard to find .

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Street Beasts almost never sent all the parts needed to complete a car all at once and often forgot to send them entirely.. 90% chance that not everything is there and if it's not then you'll have to make whatever it is as SB is gone

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
it can be made into a nice car.. Just don't build it like the manual say's to. I had one that i Made a lot of up grades to.. And was even asked by street beast to go to FL and run the engineer department because of the things I did to it.. I turn it down but did share all i did to their body and frame with them.. They did go out of business, But I think someone has their molds in mexico I think..I didn't want to be any part of their business at the time. If you do buy it, Just do enough to it custom wise, To take the label off it.. most people will walk away from them.Good strong body.. Just needs some good mods to it. The Guy I sold mine to, we became very good friends today because of the car and he still has it..Good luck..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it can be made into a nice car.. Just don't build it like the manual say's to. I had one that i Made a lot of up grades to.. And was even asked by street beast to go to FL and run the engineer department because of the things I did to it.. I turn it down but did share all i did to their body and frame with them.. They did go out of business, But I think someone has their molds in mexico I think..I didn't want to be any part of their business at the time. If you do buy it, Just do enough to it custom wise, To take the label off it.. most people will walk away from them.Good strong body.. Just needs some good mods to it. The Guy I sold mine to, we became very good friends today because of the car and he still has it..Good luck..
Thank you for your advice, I actually reached out to one of the authorized builders from SB about the car. They say very rarely did SB ever ship all the pieces for the kit due to poor packing staff or stock control. If I proceed with the purchase it will be changed for sure, I just wanted honest opinions for the valve .

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Thank you for your advice, I actually reached out to one of the authorized builders from SB about the car. They say very rarely did SB ever ship all the pieces for the kit due to poor packing staff or stock control. If I proceed with the purchase it will be changed for sure, I just wanted honest opinions for the valve .
Your welcome.. The biggest problem I wanted to fix was, If you build it to the manual , it could never be removed from the frame again.. I re glassed all my floor in solid made wider tubs in the rear, And set the frame up to be removable like most car are. I made the steel framing in the car for door hinges and truck hinges too. Also did a steel framing under the dash. everything was made in the car and was part of all the body mounts. I was told by them it wouldn't work.. So I proved it to them it could and then I was offered a job..Go figure.. LOL Good luck.. Knowing glass work is a big plus.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Knowing what i know now. I would have built a whole new frame under it. But you can change up the frame to work better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Knowing what i know now. I would have built a whole new frame under it. But you can change up the frame to work better.
I thought the frame looked pretty rough for a factory made, I don’t care for all the 1” square tube . I agree about being able to remove the body . I am going to see it again to make sure all the important pieces are there , I have heard some bodies had different width front fenders side to side. The main thing is that all the body related stuff and glass is there, I can work with the rest as it goes.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
yes the front ends are a little wide on front, Putting the tires against the fenders. best to run some skinny's in the front. They had a build some wheres on line, I use to have it saved, Not sure where it is but a guy took a street beast and cut all the fenders off and made a very nice fender-less hot rod out of one. If I ever did another I would do it that way. Tires fit a lot better. I'm building a 34 russnomore glass car now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts