Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1937 Ford Pickup
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1937 Ford Pickup driver side door is sagging. Vertical gaps are good. Hinges are tight. It seems like the rear of the cab needs to come down to meet the door. Is this possible? Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
I can't say I am familiar with the 37, closest I have worked on is 41. Anyway...

Here is something that might throw a guy off. These pictures are a white 51 and a yellow 48.

Notice how on both trucks, the cowl appears to hang down farther than the door and cab.

This is because the cab has a weld seam underneath the door sills and the bottom of that should line up with the bottom of the cowl side. The cowl just doesn't tuck under like the rest of the cab. I believe this to be that way so that the doors can open with the cab off the truck and sitting on a flat floor.

Give it a look. While you are there, look for anything that looks like it may have shifted. Cabs are mighty flexible after this long.

If you can put a padded C clamp over the inner cab structure over the door (headliner may be in the way) and roll the window down then locate the clamp just behind the vent window, with hinges and latch striker good and loose... it is easier to lift the door within the range of adjustment. Just be careful. I would say clamp on the drip rail but that is too fragile.

Bear in mind as you read that, that I normally chop out stock hinges and put in hidden ones and bear claw latches. So I may not be up on your year of truck, but the clamp thing sure can help adjustment efforts and the cowl bottom thing is just a dirty old trick by Ford.;)

·
1937 Ford Pickup
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Idrivejunk, thanks for the reply. Can you explain how this is accomplished? I have no experience at this.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
This picture isn't mine, its from an ad but do you see the area down there under the floor where your left foot goes? Cab will be bolted to the frame down there.

Get that bolt loose enough to slide a spacer under the cab while using a pry tool between cab and frame to lift that corner of the cab. Washers around the bolt can serve as permanent shims but the thing to do is get the cab loose on that corner, raise it up and see if the issue gets better or worse. Up to maybe half inch is all I would want to shim it like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts