Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1937 ford pick up hood I am ready to disassemble my hood and was wondering if anyone had some tips on pulling the long pins that connect the sides to the top I would like to replace them with stainless steel rods after blasting and epoxy priming. The center connector was a snap but the side pins look tough.
Has anyone figured what the correct size rod to use as a replacement would be?
Thanks Magnum

·
Registered
158 Posts
I pound on a small drift punch on one end to expose at least 1/2 inch of the pin, then clamp down (real hard) on that exposed end with a pair of vice grips, then I beat on the vice grips.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks For the suggestions. Tonight I felt up to the challenge and started working on the hood hinge and had some real success. First I sand blasted all along the hinge area than I soaked it down good with Zep 45 waited a few minutes and laid it down on the shop floor on top of some heavy card board than took a small punch to one end of the pin and got it to move about 1" out one end I put the exposed pin into a bench vise and started to fold the two half's of the hood up and down after a few minutes the pin started to work out and when it made it a forth of the way out it started to slide. Now let me tell you I do not get to excited about things but when the pin came free with out any damage to the hood hinge area it was better than sex.
I repeated it for the other side. Now I advise anyone who does this to be sure no one is watching as it looks like you are trying to turn the hood into a butterfly and helping it fly viewed by the wrong people you could end up in the nut house.
Magnum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts