Hot Rod Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
After trying to find a couple of rad hoses that would go where I needed it to I gave up on rubber molded hoses and ordered up some bent aluminum tubing and silicone couplers.
I rotated the outlet 45 degrees to better clear the intake tubing. mock up , cut, weld, done.

Got 2 10" cooling fans, made up mounting brackets and a shroud to mount the fans to. The shroud is stainless and the holes were all dimpled.
Just like everything else on this car, it's tight. I have about 1/2" between the fans and water pump pulley.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,581 Posts
Like the shroud. Just hope the air doesn't short circuit thru the holes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Outer door handles have proved to be the most difficult thing to find. I only have about 1" of door space before I hit the glass. I spent a few hours trying to find something late model that I like and fits. No luck.
So instead I got me a door handle kit, some assembly required, may need some finishing.
This is what I started with. A piece of 1" aluminum bar stock, nylon bushing material, 1/4" key stock, a small screw, short piece of 7/8" tubing, 1/2" bolt and jam nut and an old 1/4" drive socket.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

When I was done, they looked like this. Just need to add the rotating part on the end to actuate door latch.

On the car they will look like this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
I was happy with how the front parking lights/turn signal were located and but wasn't happy with the lamp assembly. It was out of an old VW and the lens and housing weren't very good. I looked for a while trying to find something that would fit in behind that wouldn't break the bank. No luck, until I was fueling up my work truck (Kenworth B-train fuel tanker) and noticed these little stick on reflectors. Purchased a couple new ones. A couple of sockets out of junk pile and made up 2 housings. Ta da!

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,581 Posts
Try logging out and back in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I shot a little bit of epoxy primer today. Was the body work worthy of primer? Nope. It looks like 100, 100 body work. 100 feet at 100kph. I given up hope of a shiny car. I really really dislike body work. I'm thoroughly convinced that bodymen must hate them selves.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,581 Posts
I agree, it's a pain. I just painted the El Camino, and what a ton of work and sanding and more sanding. Brutal.
Keep plugging away a section at a time will get er done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I agree, it's a pain. I just painted the El Camino, and what a ton of work and sanding and more sanding. Brutal.
Keep plugging away a section at a time will get er done.
I can't count the hours nor the applications of filler I've put into this thing so far. That's just around the back lower part of the body. I still looks like crap. At the rate I'm going, they'll find me dead on the floor with a sanding block in my hand. ☹ Body guys must have some really good medication to get through every day.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,581 Posts
I take Robaxacet. Back is aching every day.
Anyhow, you've got some crisp lines and nice deck lid gap there. It's getting there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I should have known this, just because everyone does something one way, doesn't mean it's the best way.
Before installing the Specialty power window wiper kit I looked at other peoples 1938 Chev's and manufacturers stuff to see where they put the wiper pivot. Specialty power window even makes a bezel to install them into the factory location. So I did the same.
I go to put in the wipers arms and found it probably the worst location possible. I would get maybe half of the window wiped. The wiper would park in a bad location too. So playing with the wiper I moved it over 3" to the outside. Way better. Now just reweld , grind , repair mistake etc. Sigh.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,581 Posts
I should have known this, just because everyone does something one way, doesn't mean it's the best way.
Before installing the Specialty power window wiper kit I looked at other peoples 1938 Chev's and manufacturers stuff to see where they put the wiper pivot. Specialty power window even makes a bezel to install them into the factory location. So I did the same.
I go to put in the wipers arms and found it probably the worst location possible. I would get maybe half of the window wiped. The wiper would park in a bad location too. So playing with the wiper I moved it over 3" to the outside. Way better. Now just reweld , grind , repair mistake etc. Sigh.
View attachment 618480
View attachment 618481
View attachment 618482
Damn......never thought about with the arm attached and the wiper blade being so short, it not getting the glass cleared directly in front of me.
I may need to move mine as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't count the hours nor the applications of filler I've put into this thing so far. That's just around the back lower part of the body. I still looks like crap. At the rate I'm going, they'll find me dead on the floor with a sanding block in my hand. ☹ Body guys must have some really good medication to get through every day.
LOL!!! That's me too.....dead on the floor with a sanding block in hand.....lol! Cracked me up...thanks!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts