Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have had this car for many years and am finally getting to it. There is some interesting family history with it. I have also realized that with disassembling this car there are some very cool and forward thinking designs in it. Here is the first video for this car, I will do many more. I hope you enjoy

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
My wife says she thinks the hole in the back might have been to accept a rod that was part of an extended luggage arrangement made up of a leather or other waterproof module that would have increased the luggage capacity of the car. The trunk lid would have closed and latched on this additional contrivance rather than closing all the way like it would if the extended luggage compartment were not there.

She was born in 1947, raised on a farm in the southern tip of Illinois and says she remembers seeing such an arrangement on an early car, although she can't say whether it was a Pontiac or not.

Information on the web about such an arrangement seems to be thin and none, although I did run across a photo that shows a (looks like heavy cloth) strap going from the plywood piece down to the hole in question that looks to me like it was used to prevent the spare tire from sliding back and banging into the trunk lid upon heavy acceleration. I thought at first that it was a metal strap to help support the plywood, but then realized that the plywood was supported on left and right sides by the metal support arrangements. I would link the photo, but have lost it in the process of looking.

Still looking, found this on google images......looks like maybe a metal piece to prevent the spare tire from rattling.......good luck finding a replacement.....
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=610&ei=RnksX6XbDu-HggfowKeoAw&q=inside+trunk+1938+Pontiac+4-door+Sedan&oq=inside+trunk+1938+Pontiac+4-door+Sedan&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDDoFCAAQsQM6AggAOgYIABAFEB46BAgAEB5QxB5Yhq0BYJPGAWgAcAB4AIABa4gB8hiSAQQzNi4ymAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img&ved=0ahUKEwilloDsxYfrAhXvg-AKHWjgCTUQ4dUDCAc#imgrc=Gnx7S81toKoN8M
Click on the photo and it will show it bigger and in more detail on the right side of the page.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, both of these seem like they would absolutely make sense. The spare tire holder seems very likely. I am not looking for a replacement, this car will definitely be a street rod capable of much more than when it was new. My plan is to make this ride, handle and drive like a modern car with comfort, reliability and safety in mind

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
Thank you, both of these seem like they would absolutely make sense. The spare tire holder seems very likely. I am not looking for a replacement, this car will definitely be a street rod capable of much more than when it was new. My plan is to make this ride, handle and drive like a modern car with comfort, reliability and safety in mind
So, are you planning a clip swap or frame swap? How about an engine swap?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am doing a C4 corvette front suspension, fabricating a frame (I am a millwright by trade) and installing a chris alston torque arm rear suspension with Watts link. I am putting in a 408 stroker LS, T-56 and a full floater 9 inch

·
Grand Prix user
5,338 Posts
Sounds like a good build for a forum thread with full detail. My guess is the round holes serve as handles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, that is a good assumption. I am thinking the big one in the middle may be for checking the tire pressure or filling the spare tire.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,222 Posts
Wow, that frame is heavy duty and nothing like the "top hat" frames under the same year Chevrolet.

The trunk and seat divider seem like an after sale modification for hauling long product when a salesman's coupe won't do..:confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that frame is heavy duty and nothing like the "top hat" frames under the same year Chevrolet.

The trunk and seat divider seem like an after sale modification for hauling long product when a salesman's coupe won't do..:confused:
Absolutely, super solid. I am very confident that this trunk divider is factory, the center divider is stamped steel and spot welded to the floor. This thing would be quite the unit for sales. Like using a truck with a crew cab haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts