Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
if you want a narrow rear end the Mustang 5.0 forums list using a 5.0 8. 8 and limited slip housing, 5 lug ranger pickup shafts. They are different side to side, and Lincoln 8.8 rear discs. I have put them together in the wrecking yards to get what I needed. there are articles about narrowing an explorer 8.8 that is a little stronger. The old plymouth and fords used the 5 on 4.5 wheel pattern.
Any suggestions on years for the mustang rear end, ranger shafts, and lincoln discs?

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
early 80's mustang used 7.5 rear, later years changed to the 8.8. I don't remember the years, I go the the mustang forums for info. . Your mustang 2 might have an 8 inch rear depending on the year and engine, the cheaper route for a low cost driver might be if you have an 8 in tour M II might be to swap to 5 lug axles and use the drum brakes. the smaller M II front brakes can be swaped to 5 lug by using 80's ranger 5 lug rotors and have the rotor diameter turned down a bit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your 39 has independent front suspension. That stock Mustang 2 front end will not work without massive fabrication. Fatman sells front stubs based on the Mustang 2 components, and is what I would recommend. Go to Fatman Fabrications website and figure out what you need. Or call them and get recommendations from Brent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Your 39 has independent front suspension. That stock Mustang 2 front end will not work without massive fabrication. Fatman sells front stubs based on the Mustang 2 components, and is what I would recommend. Go to Fatman Fabrications website and figure out what you need. Or call them and get recommendations from Brent.
I am fine with doing fabrication i just need to know what i have to build. I am a journeymen metal fabricator. I have all the equipment at my disposal. Plasma tables, turret punch, press brakes, rolls, bead rollers, english wheel, etc. I would rather build the parts than buy them. At this point my 39 has such independent suspension that its not even with the car. I am fine with doing or making whatever i need for the car but preference would be making it myself.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,767 Posts
Just an FYI: The pivot point of the steering rack tie rod pivot points must be in line with the pivot points of upper and lower arms.
If not done properly, bump steer will drive you crazy,

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
front suspension Here's a 39 1939 Plymouth Coupe 426 HEMI I haven't found a good picture of the 39 front suspension the frame print shows similar to my son's 36 On pict of a Dodge looks like the sorings pocket in the crosmember like a jag xj Here's a link to a kit. Mopar Plymouth Dodge IFS Front End Kit 1939-1951 Mustang II Style It shows C channel boxing reinforcements, probably have to trim off parts from the stock frame. that would make easier instalation ' not losing the fender and bumper stock mounts. we have been collecting Jaguar xj 6 ifs and irs parts. for swaps. one of my sons has a 36 olds and we measured the Jag and it will be and easy swap by trimming off the coil spring bump outs and flat plating the outside of the frame. there are a couple jag swaps on the HAMB using that method.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So can i still use parts off the mustang or was that a waste of a purchase? I would rather not spend 2000 on a kit. I would message fatman or whom ever but i would rather not message someone that is making these kits to ask if i need a whole kit or if i can use the parts from this other car. Most companies are going to tell you that you need their product being as it is their business.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
I have a lot of Fab equipment spread out between where we spend most of our time near yellowstone and my 5 K sq ft shop 500 miles south where I used to spend the winters and where my sons work out of. We fab most of our own parts. Plasma tracer Mig, tig, lathe. Mill, saws , gantry crane, rotttissere, english wheel bead roller, shrinke, 4 ft southworth lift table , 2 post hoist, etc. as I posted earlier if you have the 8 in rear end (they were used in the early Mustang v 8 cars), You can order the Welder series Mustang II crossmember kit , I don' know the current Us- Canada exchange but they were about $300 US. You can use the stock Mustang II componets on a WS kit, and upgrade the front discs to 11 inch, or use smaller ranger discs. The one kit I linked to shows the C channel frame reinforcements you could probably make and keep the front frame and have the fender and bumper mounts, mabe even use the stock Mustang II cross member. My son checked out a 36 Plymouth at a car show that used the stock crossmember, 65 years ago we Used a lot of our donor car parts, the after market was mostly engine upgrades and engine to transmission adaptor parts. in the 50's in High school we didn't have much money and used what we had.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
In post #27 I linked to the pict of the Dodge chassis I understand the dodge and plymoth were the same. You could use the Mustang II rear springs, rear axle if it is and 8 in, In the 50's and 60's we put the later ford master cylinder on the firewall and used the later pedals, When you have the front fenders off you can build a locating fixture out of tube or angle iron to locate the front frame bumper and radiator nounts and use the C chanels to rebuild the frame section pic 4 and 5 of the dodge show what they did to mount the M II or after market cross member. other pieces like electric wiper motor Mabe, We even swapped in the Olds instrument panel into a 36 chevy and 31 chrysler roadster including all the wiring,

21 - 30 of 30 Posts