Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a 1940-48 Ford car axle have more drop to it than a stock Model A? And if not how difficult is it to heat it up and bend it?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

A stock 40 Ford ( and up to 48 ) does have more drop to it than a Model A. But it is wider also. Dropping a axle is not something that is within the home hobbyist range of doing.

It is much easier.........and safer to just buy a dropped axle. A new 4 inch drop axle I beam is just about $200.

DEUCE

:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much Wider? I plan on running no fenders so width isn't much of problem. Will the wishbones and spring shackle pins fit from a Model A or will I need to cannibalize the whole front end out a 1940-48? Last Question is the front axle from a light duty 1940-48 pickup the same as a car? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Deuce, I have never owned a 40 Ford, but for 50 years, I thought the frame and axle geometry was the same from 35 thru 40. The increased width (about 2 1/2 inches) was introduced in 1941 along with a wider and longer frame (and wheel base) and remained basically the same thru 1948.

Trees

·
Registered
5 Posts
A pickup axle is not the same as a car. In '42 Ford switched to parallel springs on the trucks, cars retained the single spring.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
trees said:
Deuce, I have never owned a 40 Ford, but for 50 years, I thought the frame and axle geometry was the same from 35 thru 40. The increased width (about 2 1/2 inches) was introduced in 1941 along with a wider and longer frame (and wheel base) and remained basically the same thru 1948.

Trees

I do see anywhere that I said the 35 to 40 was different. :D

Just that they are wider than the Model Axle.

The 41 up is even wider.............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts