Hot Rod Forum banner

1940 Chevy Pickup Hot Rod in the making

10777 160
I've had mustangs (currently have two in the garage) and vintage Volkswagens that I've built and sold over the years but never pulled the trigger on a "farm truck". I grew up as a kid around the 80's and 90's street rod scene and always had an affinity for the 30's to 50's trucks but never really considered owning one; until the end of April when I finally caved in and picked up my first pre-war vehicle. It's a relatively stock 1940 Chevy pickup that was supposedly restored sometime in the 70's.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Ended up driving the truck home that day but took a bypass that avoided the mountain road.

Took the better part of the day but the truck made it home. Initial findings, brakes worked great, original 216ci straight six smoked or leaked enough oil to rival the exxon valdez, 3spd bull nose trans was an experience and the wiring was sketchy as hell.... but it started, steered and stopped all the way home.

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
1940 Chevy Pickup/ 2007 GT500
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Not much in the way of visible progress as of late...fair bit of little stuff getting done though. Proportioning valve showed up and got installed so now the truck has brakes... still need to adjust the rod a touch. Started working on the parking brake mount and figured out where I'm putting my fuse block. Upper radiator hose is on, overflow tank is mounted. Bed wood is getting it's final coats of sealant and just a bunch of other random stuff.... last pick of the truck on torq-thrusts ...went back to steelies.

Font Material property Scientific instrument Camera accessory Cylinder

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Auto part Nut

Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fuel tank

Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Wood Table Outdoor bench Rectangle Grass

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

121 - 140 of 161 Posts