Hot Rod Forum banner
301 - 320 of 350 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Thanks Guys.

I will make up the screws later, probably a smaller diameter.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
I used 3/16" diameter stainless rod for a wire edge. I had previously fixed a buckle or two in the fender rim/edges by just tapping them on a dolly. Just gotta know, those spots will cave in easy with a little shove.

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 · (Edited)
The body mounts I had made up previously was where it was pointed out to me about ghost marks in the paint. The spot welds would have telegraphed thru the paint for sure. Also, double metal doesn't expand and contract the same as a single layer.

First pic is before.

The laser light was used to mark a level line for trimming.

Same idea to get a level line for the base plate.

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
I took the "wings" to work to give them a bend to drop the 1/4" mounting plate into for welding.

The lightening holes look ridiculous but they won't be seen and they are doing their job...:p

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
The headlight kit came with a paper template for the wire grommet. Bulb access is from the back. Good thing as these 37 Ford trims and lenses are a pain to deal with.

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
These two pics show how much of the original fenders were used. "X" marks the original material. You can see the weld lines.

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Epoxy primer. Rotisserie sure comes in handy.

Attachments

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Looks a little like the front end of a Pontiac Solstice.

I noticed that awhile back. Thought it was just me.....that should make it Matt approved then, ha.....

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Its just the smiling face of a happy car :) as I may have mentioned. ;) Couldn't give me a Solstice if I had to keep it.:D

Thats a good bunch of progress on the 41. I suspect you have been pushing to reach this point so you can pause for a spell to knock out another project over the cold season.:cool:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Its just the smiling face of a happy car :) as I may have mentioned. ;) Couldn't give me a Solstice if I had to keep it.:D

Thats a good bunch of progress on the 41. I suspect you have been pushing to reach this point so you can pause for a spell to knock out another project over the cold season.:cool:

Possibly, if I knew how to get the moldings off the box. :D

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
Well, how about that. Exactly a year to do this batch of work. I brought it into the garage on Aug 17th last last year.

Hmm....What will be the next project? Chop the top? I don't know.:drunk:

Here's major items that need to be done:

-Chop top
-Chop doors
-Operate on doors to fit a flat one piece glass (no vent windows)

-Fit doors into opening - requires peeling skin off to belt line at least to repair edges and make the doors smaller.
-Fab new hood and hinges

These should be last:

-Weld rear fenders to body...fatten 1-1/2" each side at same time. Mold in the special tail lights to fenders also.
-Rear valance

Lots to choose from there.

- New chassis

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Possibly, if I knew how to get the moldings off the box. :D
You get a glimpse of most of that in this quick vid-

With the end caps off, on the long moldings, just roll the molding a little pushing to one side. Rock gently. Clips are screwed to bed and not real bad puny. Sliding it rearward off the clips may be possible. Access holes are provided for the down-low moldings if it has those. Did one in January of 2016 and had to click vid for memory jog. Apologies for thread swerve but you said my name.;)

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
Well, how about that. Exactly a year to do this batch of work. I brought it into the garage on Aug 17th last last year.

Hmm....What will be the next project? Chop the top? I don't know.:drunk:

Here's major items that need to be done:

-Chop top
-Chop doors
-Operate on doors to fit a flat one piece glass (no vent windows)

-Fit doors into opening - requires peeling skin off to belt line at least to repair edges and make the doors smaller.
-Fab new hood and hinges

These should be last:

-Weld rear fenders to body...fatten 1-1/2" each side at same time. Mold in the special tail lights to fenders also.
-Rear valance

Lots to choose from there.

- New chassis
It had overlapping doors (at rear of door) ?

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
It had overlapping doors (at rear of door) ?

No. Due to circumstances caused by my control, some shrinkage may have occurred and no gap and/or out of square slightly.

No worries, edge damage dictates peeling of skin back.
One piece glass install dictates cutting out inner door panel in a major way. Gonna be a major operation as the slot for glass turns where the vent window begins. :pain:

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
No. Due to circumstances caused by my control, some shrinkage may have occurred and no gap and/or out of square slightly.

No worries, edge damage dictates peeling of skin back.
One piece glass install dictates cutting out inner door panel in a major way. Gonna be a major operation as the slot for glass turns where the vent window begins. :pain:
Oh.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
For whatever reason, I just had an idea for your roof. Might not be new or good but throwing it out there. Using the approximate proportions of your existing rear window, echo your custom grille shape but inverted... with a split back window.

In other words, turn your grille shape upside down and lay it over your New Yorker back window opening and see what you come up with that looks like nod to the split oval Willys window. Use flat glass and sidestep getting a nice new curved stock rear window. Also takes away worries of how extra rounded the stock window will look if you just laid it down more. I picture horizontal pie cuts above the drip rails from B pillar rearward and verticals over it so you can mash down the rear third of the roof a little where you want to round it more. Then you could plop your new window panel in the middle of it, trim overlaps, and.. you know.

Hope you don't mind. Great pics, parts, and posts you are kicking out.:)
See below...............

It will be good to see you getting back to the Chrysler too. I imagine you have had lots of time to be thinking through the next steps you are going to take with her.
John
I took this quote from another thread. Hope you don't mind John.
I mentioned top chop next. I got a line on a 37 Ford split back window. It's a long drive but my daughter loves a road trip.
It would go well with the 37 Ford headlights I think. Some on the front and some on the back.

Reactions: John long

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,450 Posts
I mentioned top chop next. I got a line on a 37 Ford split back window. It's a long drive but my daughter loves a road trip.
It would go well with the 37 Ford headlights I think. Some on the front and some on the back.
Are you going Friday morning...

301 - 320 of 350 Posts