Hot Rod Forum banner
321 - 340 of 350 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Just realized, I forgot to post the nice score I got. Matt's suggestion of the split back window percolated in my brain and I did end up getting one. 37 Ford, sedan I think.

I made a special soak tank for the molasses and water mixture.
I noticed it in the corner of the shop and thought I'd take a look see.

The date is on the tank when I put them in there. I wrapped rags around and no smell in the shop.

Took them out to turn over yesterday.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
It seems like you are having fun with this build for years now.
Thanks.

Ya, it's been a long time. I think I bought it in April of 08. Knocking down one's house can really slow things down. Also, playing with the El Camino almost every winter don't help much. Oh well, as long as it's done by the time I retire. Hopefully the Covid will be gone or under control so I can take a cruise through the States in it.

Reactions: Vergil003

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Is the split rear window good enough to use Pugs?

John

Yes, it's mint.
Rust free, well half, anyways. The other half will be rust free in about six weeks.

Looks like a couple pits on the interior trim, but they can be filled as it's inside.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
I got everything cleaned up. The molasses doesn't remove paint of course, but we have our ways....I love using this stuff.

Reactions: idrivejunk

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
The garnish molding has some pits and holes. I will epoxy prime, shmooze some Bondo from the back and then finish the front.
It's an interior part so I'm not worried about it rusting.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,450 Posts
Looks quite clean. You should brush up on your brazing skill and braze the pits closed first... ;)
I'm going to try that with certain areas on the Camaro.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
Looks quite clean. You should brush up on your brazing skill and braze the pits closed first... ;)
I'm going to try that with certain areas on the Camaro.
Thanks.
I'm usually fussy about rust and Bondoing over holes, but I believe this is a piece that's "allowable".
I don't want to take any chances with this piece with heat and end up destroying it.
I'll post pics of the process, then you and anyone else here may have the pleasure of calling me a hack.
I have no problems with that.

I've actually never tried brazing with a torch. Wouldn't that thin metal just walk away from the flame tip creating huge holes?

·
Slow but willing learner
5,356 Posts
Pugsy, if you want to do it "quick and dirty," chop up some woven fiber glass mat and mix it with some epoxy cement until you have a paste. Then, apply that to the back. Both the adhesion and water proofing will be far better and you can do it just as quickly.

When I have done this, I have taken a good pair of scissors and cut the woven mat on a 45 degree angle giving me about 1/8” strands that are super easy to work with.

John

·
2,450 Posts
Brazing rod melts before the steel. Use a small tip and a soft flame. There is a fair amount of brazing on these period cars right from the factory.
John's idea is better, or you could use all metal filler first too, for more strength than just bondo.
Pugsy a hack...yeah right... :ROFLMAO:

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,141 Posts
Them parts been soaking for quite some time haven't they? That molasses does a rite fine job if i may say so...:cool:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Pugsy, if you want to do it "quick and dirty," chop up some woven fiber glass mat and mix it with some epoxy cement until you have a paste. Then, apply that to the back. Both the adhesion and water proofing will be far better and you can do it just as quickly.

When I have done this, I have taken a good pair of scissors and cut the woven mat on a 45 degree angle giving me about 1/8” strands that are super easy to work with.

John
Interesting recipe. thanks.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
Them parts been soaking for quite some time haven't they? That molasses does a rite fine job if i may say so...:cool:
About two months each side.
Works good. It's not the best but a couple hours with a wire wheel got them shining up real good.

Reactions: John long

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
Brazing rod melts before the steel. Use a small tip and a soft flame. There is a fair amount of brazing on these period cars right from the factory.
John's idea is better, or you could use all metal filler first too, for more strength than just bondo.
Pugsy a hack...yeah right... :ROFLMAO:
Thanks.
All Metal, 82 bucks a quart up here. I think that company is right proud of their product.

·
2,450 Posts
$40 quart down here. I think it's more your government that's proud of taxing the crap out of everything with import fees, duties, etc. I don't understand any other reason for the price being double. Free shipping on Amazon. Can you order it in CAN and have it shipped to you ? I imagine there will still be import costs ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm using Evercoat 889 Metal-2-Metal on my project, for areas that traditional bondo is less than ideal. It's around $45-50 CDN a quart; got mine from Lordco (I believe they're only in BC and Alberta though) but amazon carries it as well

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
$40 quart down here. I think it's more your government that's proud of taxing the crap out of everything with import fees, duties, etc. I don't understand any other reason for the price being double. Free shipping on Amazon. Can you order it in CAN and have it shipped to you ? I imagine there will still be import costs ?
That is with free shipping from Amazon up here.
How it works up here:

Our dollar is only worth .75 USD
So add 25%, however, exchange used to be about 2% to convert money.
Now, every financial institution up here has fixed it at arounf 10%
So, add 35%

Companies up here order a skid of something and pay freight on that skid price. Low $'s per piece.
However, what they build into the cost is how much it would cost to order one piece and have UPS ship it up here
by itself.

Then to get across the border, there is brokerage fees.

So total, add about 80-100%
Bend over Canadians.....

Reactions: idrivejunk
321 - 340 of 350 Posts