Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rewiring a 46 Ford with a Ron Francis Wiring Kit, and the customer wants the stock gauges. I'm having a hard time finding a good wiring diagram for the stock gauges. Behind the gauges there are 2 what looks almost like relays with 2 terminals each. The wiring diagrams don't show the hook up at all. Here's a picture of what I have. Not my gauges. I'm goin nutz trying to find the answer on Google.
Any help would be appreciated.

By the way Ron Francis wiring is the worse one I ever installed.

Musical instrument Nickel Metal Auto part Fashion accessory
Product Black Schematic Rectangle Font

·
Registered
414 Posts
Those studded terminals are on circuit breakers on main positive leads. they are represented by a fuse in the wiring diagram on the back of the ammeter. If you are going to use the standard gauges, and convert to 12V you will need 6-12 isolator/inverter to furnish 6v to the gauges. The ammeter will not work as original designed because it will no longer handle the load of the system. There might be modern gauge cluster with retro look to work with 12v system.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes if your rewire kit moved the load center and fuses away from the dash panel, those breakers would have been replaced by fuses in the new fuseblock. Did you convert system to 12v?. Then you would need a step down regulator to provide voltage to the gauges. In a 12v system, voltage is cut back to 6-7 v so that gauges didn't swing with generator output.
Like I said before, the ammeter originally carried the full system load current, which caused the gauge to deflect. Manufacturers moved away away from using actual ammeters because of fire concerns. A simple voltmeter can indicate the state of charge or generator output.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I eliminate them and just use a voltage reducer?
I'm going to add a voltage reducer also.
Yes if your rewire kit moved the load center and fuses away from the dash panel, those breakers would have been replaced by fuses in the new fuseblock. Did you convert system to 12v?. Then you would need a step down regulator to provide voltage to the gauges. In a 12v system, voltage is cut back to 6-7 v so that gauges didn't swing with generator output.
Like I said before, the ammeter originally carried the full system load current, which caused the gauge to deflect. Manufacturers moved away away from using actual ammeters because of fire concerns. A simple voltmeter can indicate the state of charge or generator output.
Thank, it is 12 volts. I’ll do it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got rid of the breakers and installed a voltage drop. I hope the gauges work. I’m going to recommend after market new gauges.

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Cable Wire Electrical supply

1 - 7 of 7 Posts