Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about old Gmc/Chevy pickups.
I would like to know are the hood & front fenders the same on 1947 thru 1954 Gmc/Chevy pickups? Will they interchange?
Mike

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
GMC and Chevy front fenders are interchangeable for all Advance Design models. All Chevy hoods and grilles are different from all GMCs and the two brands will only interchange if you use the same brand hood and grille together. can't mix a GMC hood w/ a Chevy grille and vice versa. Chevy grilles are interchangeable from '47 through '53, only difference is whether they are chromed or painted. Grille changed for the '54 and first half '55 only. Mid 55 they introduced the later model, more square body style.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I know for a fact that the inner fenders are different on a Chevy and a GMC and the front fenders are also. The mounting points on the cab are in the same place which tells me that the WHOLE dog house could be changed from Chevy to GMC, but not just pieces

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
I didn't know that. I have never owned a GMC so can't comment w/ firsthand knowledge but all the parts vendors make no distinction between inner or outer fenders for the two brands in their catalogs. I have bought several sets of AD front fenders and have never asked if they were Chevy or GMC.. Might have lucked out and alway got Chevy!!

According to the Jim Carter catalog, "The GMC and Chevrolet pickups share bodies, most suspension, transmissions, etc. - not engines, grilles, tailgates, exterior colors, or hubcaps."

Bodies for 1/2 ton and larger trucks are identical but the fenders differ to accommodate bigger wheel on bigger trucks.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,339 Posts
The front fenders are different from 47-53 to 54 and first series 55. They have an indentation on the front to accomodate the signal lamp that mounts in the grille end. The inner fenders would then be different I would think as well. But they should be the same from Chevy to GMC.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Yes the '54 did quite a few design changes including a curved windshield as well as the fender and grille changes. That the Chevy and GMC fenders (not grilles and hoods) are interchangeable has always been my understanding too.

·
16,339 Posts
I wonder about the rad support? The GMC motor was longer I believe. The support on Chevy's changed about 49ish from a single bracket with two bolts in the center to a twin mounting bracket with single bolts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know the windshield is curved on the 54, but will it fit the 53 if i cut the center support out and get a 54 gasket?

·
16,339 Posts
Nope, the whole front of the cab is different.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Martin, the rad support is indeed different from Chevy to GMC.
Fenders are same from 1/2 ton to 1 ton trucks. 1 1/2 ton trucks got different fenders.
Running boards are different as well, came in three sizes in 49, which I assume carried throu 47-55.

The cutout for the grille is slightly different from GMC to chevy on the fenders

·
16,339 Posts
Willy's I was thinking about this before Eric posted, and he is right on all accounts. The aftermarket fenders you are talking about are simply trimmed to fit the GMC or Chevy. I remember the side of the grille being different, a little wider on the GMC. I am also thinking the 54 fenders would be the same in fiberglass repro being all you would need to do is cut a hole for the light clearance. The inner fenders for sure, if there was a difference there is a very slim chance they would make a GMC only. Not when all you have to do is a quick trim or something.

I will go over to the Stovebolters forum and ask.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts