Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1948 Chevrolet Fleetline Suspension Upgrade question

Hello all,

This is my first post, I have been searching the previous threads and have not found much information about the options for upgrading the front suspension for my 1948 Fleetline.

I have multiple options that I have seen for replacements with several aftermarket IFS setups and have been considering going this route.

I also have a later model subframe that is currently attached to the original frame, not well though, the original surgeon installed it crooked. I know you are all thinking that if the subframe has been grafted on how can I do a MII or other IFS, well I was lucky enough to purchase another frame after I noticed the original had the subframe installed correctly. I am not opposed to removing the subframe and reattaching it correctly.

The third option I am thinking about is rebuilding and upgrading the original IFS with disk brakes, dropped spindles, and the part I cannot seem to find any information about is a way to replace the original double-action shocks with a gas charge more modern style. Has anyone seen anything for this style of upgrade?

The plans for the car call for a LT1 with 4l60e transmission . Looking for a good driver that will be safe for myself, family and others on the road.

Any advice that can be shared would be greatly appreciated, as the project has been sitting for almost 5 years and I want to get moving on it.

Thank you,

Rich

·
Registered
361 Posts
The third option I am thinking about is rebuilding and upgrading the original IFS with disk brakes, dropped spindles, and the part I cannot seem to find any information about is a way to replace the original double-action shocks with a gas charge more modern style. Has anyone seen anything for this style of upgrade?

I kept my original IFS, put on rebuilt double-action shocks,new coil springs, and installed a 11" disk brake kit. I did get rid of the old rear shocks, installed an S10 rear end and new shocks. I ended up with a very smooth riding car, and it handles great. Now you can spend a lot more money and go with different options, but i saved a lot of money and it rides better than our 2003 Buick. There are a lot of front end kits out there for the 48 chevy, but it all depends on how much money you want to spend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm afraid I've been there and done that. Started out with my 41 and figured I would just go the dropped spindle supports and take a coil off the front to get it down. That got it looking good and then I didnt like the steering so I went with a Buffalo kit to swap the steering box out to a late model Saginaw unit. Drove it like that for years but finally gave in to my desires to have something newer under there so I pulled that all out and have now gone MII.

Nothing wrong with what you're trying to do with either option but what I found was how I wanted it to set with the stock Xmember and suspension I only had about 2.5 inches of clearance from the ground to the Xmember. With the switch to the flatter MII Xmember and suspension I picked up some significant ground clearance. I've since pulled the trigger on air bags so I have some additional adjustability.

If you decide to go the original suspension route give me a buzz. I've got the dropped uprights and steering box just setting here. I hate to let them just set around and will hook you up if interested. Like I said, I'm not using them.

Here is my car as it sat with the stock suspension

This is what I'm shooting for (photoshopped)

·
Registered
320 Posts
This post sounds oh so familiar, great looking car by the way
I am currently building a 48 fleetline pro street car, and have found through some old hot rodders that an amc pacer front clip works great i have one installed in mine and ther is minmial welding there still easy to find inexpensivley, plus they have big disc and a rack aswell plus i like that your car is low so is mine i love the look of a low fat fendered hot rod
with that said i considered an air ride system but i plan on racing the car soem aswell so im going with the moroso trick springs and 90/10 shocks
i have to adjust some chamber in it and my is all in mock up now but heres some photos

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks I'm really liking that white on the chevy in this post but still in the air to what color to go with have to figure it out soon because the bodys ready to come back off frame soon, i will be running the american slat flat wheels and it will have a custom wrap around interior aswell motor is at the shop now a 415 SB chevy afr heads big single plane and a 850 demon 350 tranny with value body 4.30 gears
as for the body i have smoothed the body except the handles all trim except window trim and welded the fenders to the dody front end is tilt but only to work on it i am about ready to open the top of the hood like the pancake style mecurys
so little by little making ground im running a 56 chevy steering wheel and ididit column and getting ready to smooth the firewall today
Thanks and hope to chat soon

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.