Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1949 Packard 62 " hub to hub rear end would like to swap out to a ford or chevy differential close to 62 " where wheel bolts on ,preferably disc brakes any info would be help fuul

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Find a common rear axle like a ford 8.8 then run spacers/adapters 1"(ish) thick per side which will keep your front bolt pattern.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,613 Posts
'99 and later GM truck 8.6 rear ends are about that wide and have nice disc brakes with an internal drum parking brake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Find a common rear axle like a ford 8.8 then run spacers/adapters 1"(ish) thick per side which will keep your front bolt pattern.
Thanks I thought about that but thought I could locate something closer to that dimension and that measurement is actually where wheel bolts on

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Have to ask yourself what features do you want in this rear end. You already said disc, what about ratio, posi, bolt pattern? Armed with what you want you can narrow the field. If you can't get the width you want there is always different backspace rims.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
why is the 8.8 Ford your only answer? Why even mess with adapters and spacers? This would be crap show for anything other than yard art of a scrap-rod.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Not the only choice.

I just recommend he pick a popular axle with a good aftermarket as a starting point.

If he can find a 8.6 that fits his needs then run it. But I think he will trip over 3 8.8's before he finds one 8.6. Then if he wants to modify the 8.6 with say a selectable or part time locker or run larger shafts he is going to also trip over several times much more stuff for the 8.8 .

It just has more support and thats the reason I recommended the 8.8 or other popular axle with good aftermarket support.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As well as width you will need to find one with a suitable gear ratio for the engine / trans you are going to run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts