Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I'm a student at Wyotech taking the Street Rod class. I am chopping a 1950 Chevy 4400 one and a half ton truck two inches vertically for my class project. I am planning on making the truck a show car hauler eventually but for now I'm just working on the chop. I'm possibly taking the Chassis Fab class here also to build a new frame to be able to hold the weight of a car on the back of the truck with a Mustang II front end. It will be a long project but I think it will definitely be worth it in the end.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Truck Armored car Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Machine Pickup truck Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Classic Transport Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Slow but willing learner
5,385 Posts
Hi I'm a student at Wyotech taking the Street Rod class. I am chopping a 1950 Chevy 4400 one and a half ton truck two inches vertically for my class project. I am planning on making the truck a show car hauler eventually but for now I'm just working on the chop. I'm possibly taking the Chassis Fab class here also to build a new frame to be able to hold the weight of a car on the back of the truck with a Mustang II front end. It will be a long project but I think it will definitely be worth it in the end.

View attachment 198898 View attachment 198906 View attachment 198914 View attachment 198922 View attachment 198930
Welcome aboard. I hope you like the site.:thumbup:

I would think that a Mustang II front end would be way too light for a car hauler. Is that an application that the teaching staff at Wyotech would advocate for a 2 ton truck?

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome aboard. I hope you like the site.:thumbup:

I would think that a Mustang II front end would be way too light for a car hauler. Is that an application that the teaching staff at Wyotech would advocate for a 2 ton truck?

John
I do like the site! I just wish you could upload more than five pictures at a time lol

I was planning on having a beefed up geometry for it and possibly just making a custom one based on the Mustang II that will hold up. I asked my street rod teachers and they told me to ask the chassis fab teachers about it and I haven't had the chance to ask one of them yet :( I'm planning on taking chassis fab also and building a new frame/suspension and brake setup to handle hauling cars. I have no clue about that subject yet though and I'm looking for any input on anything about my truck! I'm all ears and I'm here to learn.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,385 Posts
I do like the site! I just wish you could upload more than five pictures at a time lol

I was planning on having a beefed up geometry for it and possibly just making a custom one based on the Mustang II that will hold up. I asked my street rod teachers and they told me to ask the chassis fab teachers about it and I haven't had the chance to ask one of them yet :( I'm planning on taking chassis fab also and building a new frame/suspension and brake setup to handle hauling cars. I have no clue about that subject yet though and I'm looking for any input on anything about my truck! I'm all ears and I'm here to learn.
I am no expert but my suspicion would be that the ball joints and controll arm bushings would be way to light. Be sure to do your research before you proceed to the chassis.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am no expert but my suspicion would be that the ball joints and controll arm bushings would be way to light. Be sure to do your research before you proceed to the chassis.

John
Yea I definitely need to do a bunch more research about the frame and all that good stuff. But for now I think I'm going to concentrate on getting the top chopped and making that look cherry before I get too far ahead of myself.

Will

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm building a 4400 too. I mounted mine on a 1986 dually frame and used Belltech drop spindles etc. You will have difficulty finding brakes that will work for a car hauler and mount on mustang style ball joints. Using the later frame, I widened the front fenders 2" each to fit the wider track.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts