Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1950 ford shoebox coupe with the top chopped and all. it still has the original V8 flat head motor in it, that runs just fine, but it doesn't have any power ... I don't know much about cars personally, but im trying to find out that the best motor to put in it would be. i want it to sound mean while its just sitting there and also be able to move if it has to. not looking to race it or anything, but i plan on driving this car as much as possible(daily diver) ... so im looking for some ideas.. thanks

·
Banned
2,440 Posts
the motor you have is fine, Build it up & keep the value of this 50!! The money you would spent to do a motor swap , will be better spent on rebuilding the flat head.
Most 50's you see with a motor swap were missing the motor in the first place.
the flat heads of today are high dollar motors. Let alone you have a numbers matching one to start with!!!=$$$$$$$$
click on the links and look around.
Vern Tardel Hot Rods - Traditional Ford Hot Rods, Parts, Repairs and Custom Builds
Ford Flathead V8 Performance Guide - Hot Rod Magazine
Ford Flathead Fever, How To Hot Rod The Famous Ford Flathead Engine - 80 Pages - Macs Auto Parts

oh yeah about some picture of this chopped top flat head

·
Registered
548 Posts
What transmission is behind it? A new style overdrive can really transform how an old vehicle feels and performs. You can run some pretty low gears in the rear which with the low first is going to make it feel like a rocket and still cruise at a decent rpm.

I'm sure the engine probably needs an overhaul but I wouldn't even think of replacing it with anything else.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Flathead was rated about 100 hp. Drivetrain behind it was designed to handle about 100 hp. If you decide to replace the flathead, you should also replace the transmission and differential with stronger components. I'd be thinkin' stock 500 Cadillac with a toploader 4-speed and 9" Ford rear from a Bronco with 3.00 gears and an Auburn or Detroit Locker posi unit.
http://www.4speedtoploaders.com/

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
flatty hop up.

When I was a kid, My older brother had a 40 ford coupe in 51 with a merc block , aluminum heads 3 2 barrel carbs, hot cam headers magneto.etc.
High horsepower flatheads can be expensive, the old cranks with only 3 main bearings were the weak part.
for a different sound the kids in the old days would plug the exhaust cross over ( under the carb for pre heat) with copper pennies.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can get a Lincoln Mark VIII with a 32V V-8 (280-300hp) coupled with a 4 speed auto for super cheap. If you want to go big power, put the mustang blower on. Car will run sweet, 30 mpg, and jump when you ask. Lots more fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
50 ford

i would keep it like it is. you can still get fin heads an other dress ups for this eng. i have put a cad eng in one but i would go with a ford 351or chev sb. but you don't see many with the ford. good luck and have fun. JOE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts