Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to working on cars and need some help from those who know much more than me. I recently bought a 1951 desoto that has sat for 40 years on a farm outside. I am going to try to get the motor to turn over but am not sure if rebuilding this motor would be the best route for me. I am just trying to get this car back on the road. Can I just buy an old straight six from the craigslist and put it in there or is there more to it than that. Thank you for your help I desperately need it

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
favorite brew

A lot of guys have their favorite , pull the spark plugs and squirt in some penetrating oil, or mix of atf, acetone, etc .I think there is a wiki article on bringing an old engine back to life, Sometimes I have had to pull the starter and work the engine back and forth with a crow bar on the flywheel teeth, clean out the carb and fuel pump, tank, fresh oil. etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will tell you the truth about what you are up against. I have unstuck alot of engines and out of all them i think one i didnt have to pull the head to do it. When a engine sets the pistons grow to cyliner walls and it makes a bond that notheing can penatrate. If you do get it unstuck it will need to be rebuilt because rings will be shot. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
good caddy

I have a 472 caddy running my sawmill, the engine and trans, radiator are in a metal box that I lift the sides when I run it. Well it sat un-used for 10 years, I had to pull the starter but was able to get it to turn over, then with new plugs fired it up, sounded good no smoke and went to work, Hard work cutting juniper logs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments I finally got the plugs to release there rusty grip and have started my Marvel Mystery Oil treatment

1 - 5 of 5 Posts