Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have '51 Ford Victoria w/ a 51 BA flattie and i was wondering how to convert it to 12 volts and neg. ( - ) ground instead of the pos. ( + ) ground as it came with. I was also wondering it i could use a painless witing harness kit and not have to worry about it fitting and w/ the neg. ground will my guages work? thanks for the help

·
Registered
158 Posts
This has all been discussed on a thread called '6 to 12 volt'. Just do a 'search' with that as the key field.

"Speedway Motors" has the following conversion kit for a G.M. 12V alternator for your flathead. Part number # 91667915. You can see it at...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com

Give them a call, and tell 'em what you are doing but first be sure you really want to do it. A well maintained 6 volt system works just fine with the possible exception of the starter. If thats all you are worried about a simpler solution might be to hook up a 2nd battery (in series with the original) for the starter only, then every coupla weeks or so throw the charger on the 2nd battery. Many many years ago I did that with a '54 Merc and it worked just fine. After running like that for several months I eventually wired up a switch on the dash that controlled some relays. If the switch was up the generator charged one battery, and if it was down, it charged the other.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
I once had a 55 TBIRD with a 6 volt system and it was a pain in my posterior. I couldn't change it over as I wanted to keep it origional.

Here is a tech article that will give you some infromation on the switch. You may have to register on the board to read it's entirety, but it is free.

-6 TO 12V Changeover-

-6V Alternator-

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
We have made the 6 volt to 12 volt conversion in our 51 Ford Business Coupe when we went to a 302 motor. We wanted to keep the original guages so we put in a voltage step down to power the guages and moved the 6 volt sending units to the 302. Kultulz, we converted a 55 bird to a 12 volt system, using a 12 volt generator. With the exception of the generator and the step down, which was hidden, you would never have known the difference by first glance. We did not do it, but I'm sure we could have put the 12 volt guts into the 6 volt generator housing.

Back to the 51, you can replace the 6 volt starter with a 12 volt after it fails. It will continue to work but you will only get about half life from it, but it sure will put the boot to the flat head. Your ignition circuit will also have to come from the voltage step down. If you have an overdrive unit, replace the solenoid with a later 12 volt model and you will not have any more cantankerous up and down shifts that the 6 volt units are famous for.

Trees

1 - 4 of 4 Posts