Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a 51 Cranbrook. I was interested in seeing what others have done in the way of a turbo/supercharger.

I'm not turning it into a racecar or anything but I would like more than the 97 hp from the 3.6L it comes with.

All I have been seeing is dual carb intakes and aluminum heads. How much more power will those NA options give me?

·
More for Less Racer
19,898 Posts
If you can make 130 Hp naturally aspirated from they flathead 6 consider yourself amazed. not an engine conducive to performance enhancement.

Turbo could et you to180-200 hp, but I don't know if the internals will withstand that for long.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have had a couple flatheads and am always amazed at just how well they run.
Last one I had was a 251 in a 68 dodge wm-300. All orgional and beat up just needed the points, carb, seals, and fluids done and that girl was back bouncing through the woods.

Ok these are simple low compression engines. Yes you can dump money into them. But realistically if you want to run a flathead leave it mostly stock or plan on swapping out the entire drivetrain. Because power in one area usually exposes weak links in other parts of the vehicle.

If you want something fast start with something light, make it lighter, then add performance items to make it fast.

But a car like this your really going to need to pour several times more cash then that light ride to get the same numbers.

Just enjoy it keeping it mostly stock with minimal stockish upgrades.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
The flatheads just run good. Since it's a plymouth, it's a 218... They would probably hold a few pounds of boost, they are out there but it won't be 'easy' on the old girl.

The Flathead really shines as it has torque at about 0 RPM. I daily drove a '50 Plymouth with a fully clutched 3spd for about a month and while it was not an enjoyable experience ( no heat, vac wipers, foggy windshield in April ). The car had plenty of power to hold 60 MPH and get there quick enough. If your car has a fluid drive 3spd, then it's going to be sluggish because it has a viscous coupling behind the engine so you don't need a clutch at a stop or shifting

·
Registered
539 Posts
You probably should hang out here too: P15-D24 Forum That takes me back I had a '51 Dodge with the Gyromatic back in 1970 I traded a buddy two six packs of Grain Belt beer for it after I sold my '69 Malibu that I couldn't afford to pay for after divorce # 1. He was nice enough to let me polish off one those six packs LOL! That old car was tough as nails it used to be a county sheriffs car from Mansfield,Illinois and had a spotlight on the drivers side. Check out the pictures here: Dodge flat head Six stock cars - Google Search

;)(y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts