Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm start a '52 chev pick up project that has complete sheet metal but the orginal frame is gone...

My question are:

1) what is the stock wheel base for a 52 chev short box ?
2) what is the stock track width front and back.

I'm trying to sort out which newer frame is the best to put under the sheet metal.

Also I'm going to have a bunch of spare sheet metal left over. I think there is almost 2 complete truck in the pile. 2 cabs for sure.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
The wheel base is 116". When it comes to track width for the rear you'll need a center of tire to center of tire measurement of 63" and for the front something close to 59". The best late model rear for these trucks is mid 70's Camaro or Firebird. Some people like to use Camaro clips for the front suspension however the Camaro is a little too wide and just doesn't look quite right. A Nova clip would be a better choice. When it comes to replacing the entire frame the consensus of opinion is to use the S-10 frame and from what I've heard it's a pretty good fit.

Centerline

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with Centerline. I have a 53 with a 81 Carmaro front clip. Works good, but if the truck hadn't come that way I would have used an s10 frame. I have a complete How-to on doing the frame swap to an S10 somewhere if you need it let me know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keith Boisvert said:
I agree with Centerline. I have a 53 with a 81 Carmaro front clip. Works good, but if the truck hadn't come that way I would have used an s10 frame. I have a complete How-to on doing the frame swap to an S10 somewhere if you need it let me know.
I'd highly appreciate it it you could send the S10 how to.

thank you !

·
Registered
23 Posts
52 Frame

USE A REG CAB LONG BED 117" W.B. S-10 AND USE A REAR END FROM ANY S-10 4x4 &2" WHEEL SPACERS IN FRONT. EZ SWAP

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
48s10 said:
USE A REG CAB LONG BED 117" W.B. S-10 AND USE A REAR END FROM ANY S-10 4x4 &2" WHEEL SPACERS IN FRONT. EZ SWAP
Try looking at the date of the thread. This one is 6 years old!!! I think he's solved his problem by now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Keith Boisvert said:
I know this is old but if that how to is still available I sure would like to get it. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
65ELCMO said:
I know this is old but if that how to is still available I sure would like to get it. Thanks, Steve
There is a how to over on the 67-72chevytrucks.com forum. Has schematics for the brackets and everything.

EZ Chassis swaps sell the complete kits, But they are kind of pricey around $1300
Shane

1 - 11 of 11 Posts