Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have recently been forced due to financial reasons sell my beloved 57 Chevy that I raised from a pup, it was a done car and I will miss it dearly but moving on I have found a 1953 Buick special 2 door hard top project to occupy my time. My question is this, I would like to install a Camaro sub frame in it and was checking to see if anyone else had already completed such a project and could offer any suggestion on how to proceed. I do not have the sub frame yet so if you think of a better match for a donor car than a Camaro let me know that as well. I have installed Camaro subs in other car and that was my reason for the choice. I live in Southeastern PA so if you know of any good old car junkyard let me know that as well. I have just brought the car home and not yet even measure the wheel base or track width so I am only guessing the Camaro will work. And help you could give would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Andy

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
I am curious as to why you want to install a Camaro subframe? Why not just rebuild the Buick front suspension? The Buick suspension gives a very comfortable ride and handles well for the type/style of driving you would be doing with that car. What, if any, advantage is there to swapping to the Camaro subframe? :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking for the upgrades modern suspension with disc brakes and power steering. The factory suspension is kingpin, drum brakes and manual steering. By the time I rebuild it and hunt down the power assist unit and hoses if one is available, the cost would by far and away more then me rebuilding a mid 70’s Camaro sub frame and reaping all the benefits in one shot.
Thanks for you reply
Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had thought about using the nova clip but the front steering of the Camaro sub makes it easier for header clearance, I have still not gotten around to measuring my track width but I don’t think the Camaro is too wide for the Buick, I also thought about using the S10 front because it is front steer and narrower than the Camaro.
Thanks for you reply
Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.