Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every body I was wanting to pick everyone's brain and see other peoples ideas. I just picked up a 1953 Dodge pickup because I love the look of it and want it to be my welding shop truck / Rat Rod truck ( I love rusty). I'm not familiar with this style truck at all so this is brand new to me. I have rebuilt motors and do anything car related as much as I can on my own, I will listen to as much help as I can get. The truck is the one in my picture front clip, cab, bedsides, frame, leaf springs, hubs, wheels and tires. Other than that I think that I have a clean slate please give me input on motor, transmission drive shaft and rear end. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on the build just to get it driving down the street. Please give me input I'm also located in Murrieta, Ca so if anyone has contacts to pick a part places near me let me know.

·
Super Moderator
18,374 Posts
Not seeing a picture of your truck....However, what I would likely do if you want a shop truck taht is dependable etc....Find yourself a 318/360 Dodge pickup and strip the drive train from that and put in your truck. I dont know how close the frames might be, but you may be able to put your body/bed on the later frame without too much trouble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Techinspector1 do you have any links or more info on that suggestion that you are telling me so I can research it some more. Thank you

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
Hey Techinspector1 do you have any links or more info on that suggestion that you are telling me so I can research it some more. Thank you
I'll try to find some relevant videos on youtube or other sources....
This one is putting a Crown Vic front end onto a Ford pickup frame....
It's not exactly what you will be doing, but the more you see, the more you learn.....

Here's another Ford pickup/Crown Vic swap from start to finish.....

Here's a write-up I did several years ago that may help....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Frame_swaps

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
car-part.com is the wrecking yard online interchange..

Sam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts