Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I have a 1950 Plymouth 3 window coupe I need advise on a 1954 241 hemi ? I really don't know much about hemi engines I was thinking of buying it but don't know how much horse power I can get out of it
Thanks in advance for any advise

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Rulah said:
Hi everyone I have a 1950 Plymouth 3 window coupe I need advise on a 1954 241 hemi ? I really don't know much about hemi engines I was thinking of buying it but don't know how much horse power I can get out of it
Thanks in advance for any advise
Naturally aspirated you can get at least a HP per CI. I don't know what the situation is for getting camshafts for these engines anymore, I'm sure Hot Heads will have info on that.

But in any event, those engines have a unique look and feel despite any shortfall in power or displacement. In the right vehicle, nothing could be better IMO.

Some info:

Hemi ID
Rebuilding an early Hemi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your info It's my first project car and with no knowledge on building a car But it will be fun to build something out of nothing And once againg thanks for everyone's help

·
Hot Rod Has Been
187 Posts
A little background info...

Three divisions at Chrysler built their won versions of the early Hemi...Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge. Virtually nothing interchanges between the engines. Plymouth did not get the new Hemi engine until 1964.

The 241 will be a little more expensive to build because the parts (like the Desoto engines) are a but pricier. The stock 241 had a 7 to 1 compression ratio... an increase in compression along with a suitable camshaft change will really wake up any Hemi. You can regrind the stock cam or buy a new cam from a few different sources. I got my cam from Clay Smith. George at Clay Smith is a veteran grinder who will sell you what you need NOT what some catalog sez you should have.

Egge machine can sell you a complete rebuild kit with new pistons. Cast pistons will work fine... My suggestion is to find a reputable local machine shop that machines many different styles of engines... auto/marine/farm/industrial/diesel, etc. These guys will have a wide variety of experience in doing "odd ball" engines something a shop who does mostly SBC engines will not.

And don't be swayed into buying every fancy Hemi part in those catalogs... a stock rebuild will be just fine... you don't need Chevy water pumps, fancy oil pans or 340 MOPAR oil pumps... the stuff Chrysler engineered for those cars from the factory works just fine. Save your $$$....

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
We have a few hemi gurus here, Centerline and 36willys. Jeff (36willys) has an older hemi in a 36 Willy's coupe, he has a lot of info in his journal, do a search. (I'd help out but I have to go to work).

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum, I have a 53 coroner 214, and have started playing around the bay, so far ive done some minor engine work, however the block has never been broken into. Runs great on a daily basis, so I might not start getting dirty until its needed! Cherpin throught 3rd 😉

I've got some info , a lot of specs and the like in the engine. Lemme know boss
B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.