Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and did not find the info I that I need. What I want to do is to cut the front fenders so that I can tilt the front fenders and hood as a unit. I have an idea as to where I need to cut , but I would like to hear from someone who knows what they are doing before I goof up. Once the cut is made I will need to fabricate a device to latch and keep the two parts in line. Any help
will be appreciated.

· Registered
6,453 Posts
Because the front fenders on the AD trucks tuck under the side of the cab you definitely will have to cut them. When you have decided exactly where and once the cut is made you'll need to make a couple sheet metal pieces to weld on the inside lip of both the tilt section and the section mounted to the cab so they will keep their shape. Also this "lip" you'll make is a very good place to mount an alignment pin/cone setup. They are very easy to make and work perfectly. Just use a 4" bolt as the pin (use a grinder to round the end so it's not square) and you can make a simple cone out of sheet metal but make sure the cone is only 3" high and has a hole in the top the size of the bolt. The bottom of the cone will need to be 1"-1 1/2" in diameter. Mount the cone on the lip of the tilt section and the pin on the lip of the section mounted to the cab. Make sure the front end is closed and both sections are perfectly aligned before permanently mounting the bolt and cone. Once done, when the front end is closed the cone will come down on top of the pin and the two surfaces will be perfectly aligned once the pin projects through the top of the cone.

Also it is very easy to use a linear actuator to open and close the tilt front end. They run a couple hundred bucks but with the flip of a switch it will open the front end and all you have to do is flip the switch the other way and it automatically closes. With this system you don't need latchs since the actuator has plenty of power to hold the front end closed.

I used this same setup on my pro-street 41 Chevy. Pics are here.

Good luck.

Centerline

Reactions: edbrown

· Premium Member
10,874 Posts
'37- '42 Willys have the same problem - the fenders extend well into the cowl section and in addition the external hinges are in the way of a tilt one piece hood. Thus the typical fix is to cut off the tips of the fenders like Centerline describes. However, I have a friend for whom I built a '42 Willys pickup and he wanted a tilt one-piece 'glass hood but didn't want the fenders cut. I designed a mechanism that slid the hood forward about 8", then tilted forward, thus no cut fenders! It has a couple of 3/4" roller bearings on a bracket in the center of the hood at the cowl that roll in a channel that is welded into the cowl. Then there is a 2" square steel tube in each frame horn that has a bar (made of plow steel for strength) with 4 of the roller bearings that slide in and out very easily. At the other end of those bars the hood is attached with a swivel pin. finally, I added two scissor bars that attach to the frame (or radiator support) and the inside of the hood that restrict the hood from opening too far.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info and pics. This is similar to what I had in mind. Glad to know that I'm on the right track!

Where can the linear actuator be purchased?

Also, did you use stop switches?

· Registered
6,453 Posts
I used a Balls Rod and Custom linear actuator on the 41. It has 12" of travel and 500 pounds of push/pull force. That's more than enough to open and close a steel front end. All you need is a spring loaded (center off position) switch to operate it.

Centerline

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.