Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, Ther's a lot of experience on this website and I'm looking for a bit of advice on which way to go.

I have a 1954 Ford with a 1961 292 V8 with a 3 speed O/D transmission. I'm looking to replacing the engine and trans if need to get a bit more performance out of it. Question is - which engine swaps out with the least amount of modifications? I'm looking for a 289/302, 351 or 390, and can a 4 speed trans be dropped in withhout major modifications to the engine and transmission mounts. I would think the clutch linkage would need to be reworked too. Any advice would be appreciated before I start something. Thanks

·
Registered
721 Posts
You didn't say if it was a car or truck. Speedway and trams dapt have bolt in adaptors for small block ford and chevy engines as well as others that mount off the front of the engine and use the stock frame mounts. They also sell weld in mounts in several designs. If your lucky you could bolt the trans to the stock crossmember and then use weld in mounts for the engine. Small blocks leave more room for header clearance. The knowledge base should have a lot on this subject also. I have a 351c in a 1953 Ford sedan myself (pics in gallery) but it was a lot of work and I couldn't use headers due to the width of the Cleavland engine. Good Luck.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's beautiful,,but more than i need. maybe keeping the 292 and do some cam & carburation would be all i need. or find a 302 and build it out of the car and replace it later. i think the small block would work best. thanks

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
That is a 56 MERC POWER-PACK Option... :D

Check -HERE- for more Y-BLOCK Performance Information. The engine is not dead, they are even releasing aluminum heads for it. It would look nice in a 54 FORD.

Forgot... A BW T-10, F/4/S or even a T-5 will go behind the Y-BLOCK. Not much of a problem...

·
Registered
150 Posts
KULTULZ, where did you find those dual quad air cleaners? I have a 292 with an Edelbrock 2x4 manifold and twin Holley 4000 teapot carbs and can't find an air cleaner anywhere.

p.s. , it's a '55 F-250.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.