Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum but wondering if anyone on here has a Chieftain and a Led Sled Enthusiast. Its a 1954 POntiac and I wanted to Led Sled it, but since the frame is a front mount motor and I want to put my 454 in it. Can I just add engine mounts for the 454 or a whole new suspension and frame?

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,391 Posts
. Hello... welcome...

. Can go either way... there may be swap mounts available to do that... did you do a search for some?

. SBC's have holes for front and side mounts... don't recall about BBC's... but they use the same side mounts...

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
SBC's had out front mounts in 55-57 cars and later trucks. This also required side mounts on each side of the belhousing for stability and no rear trans mount. It is a bad idea to hang the engine from the original front mounts and use a rear trans mount.

Most of the sbc blocks had the front mount boss thru out the production run. Tho some weren't drilled. BBC blocks also have the drilled front mount boss, different bolt pattern, as it was used in many truck applications.:thumbup:

·
7,391 Posts
. If going SBC 350, how about just using the '54 Pontiac rear end? It's a cruiser, right? How about a Pontiac engine?

·
7,391 Posts
. I was thinking Olds and Pontiac used open driveshaft... still, with a SBC can use about any rear end...

. There's open driveline conversion kits for Ford rear ends... don't know about Pontiacs...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Thanks BUZZLOL

After further research I have decided to go with a 350 and a Lincoln rear end. I am purchasing a universal crossmember motor mount (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-4850) I live in Arizona so I called DVAP.COM and they gave me some pointers about using a 9" rear from a lincoln.
Be careful buying a 9" rear from a Lincoln! Many Lincolns use a 9 3/8" rear, which is an oddball. It will accept a complete 9" carrier, but the 9 3/8" carrier has no aftermarket support, and no optional gears available. They came with extremely tall gears, and if you don't like that, the only option is a complete third member swap from a 9" Ford.

Oops! Nevermind techinspector1 beat me to it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the great information, But I was thinking about keeping the rear end at first but was told that I would need like a ford 9' rear end cause the original cant handle the 350 power. im swapping the subframe with a 78 caprice so might as well do the rear too, the ford 9 inch isnt expensive so not a big price anyway might as well do it too.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,116 Posts
Thanks guys for the great information, But I was thinking about keeping the rear end at first but was told that I would need like a ford 9' rear end cause the original cant handle the 350 power. im swapping the subframe with a 78 caprice so might as well do the rear too, the ford 9 inch isnt expensive so not a big price anyway might as well do it too.
I don't want to be rude or cocky but I think you had better do some research before you do anything.

The Caprice sub frame will not work! Your wheels will be sticking out from under the car or you won't be able to turn it. A 68-74 Nova will work well but even it is none to narrow. That Caprice is a pretty wide car.

John

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A Ford 9" is a great rear axle. But you've got numerous options inn rear axles to use in your car that will hold up well to most 350's.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
They used that Pontiac rear end in fuel cars in the 60s. It will take a strong 350 to blow one.
They indeed did use a lot of Pontiac and Olds rear axles in fuel cars, but usually the later Pontiac and Olds rear axles, not the early '54 style.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
They indeed did use a lot of Pontiac and Olds rear axles in fuel cars, but usually the later Pontiac and Olds rear axles, not the early '54 style.
They used both the early and late. Granted when they became common, the later ones were used more, but the early ones will take plenty of abuse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts