Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is one for the seinor builder's i have a 1955 cast iron powerglide that's leaking and i have a seal kit to replace the seal's and gasket's. does anyone know how to stop these trany's from burping, and to prevent the converter from draining back down. i'm sure that my buddy will ok any thing to stop this from leaking. also i need a picture of the spring layout behind the servo cover. this 55 tran's has a presure pegulator reverse booster valve and no modulator, my 56 chilton's manual show's a modulator and when i pulled the servo cover the spring's and rev booster valve fell out and i have no picture of the layout. thank's any help will be helpfull c-ya sling

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'll dig my old books out.
Have patience grasshopper.
The cast PG's didn't have a modulator until 1958.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tk's stu and trees, we'll see if stu can find his book's. I have the time and there's no use both of ya looking. Fatsco has a manual for $30 i can get as well. I have some ring wear inside the valve body where the seal ring on the input shaft is riding. So i'll be looking for anyone who know's of a reman. valve body or some one who has machined in a sleeve. It would also be cool if anyone has a scarf cut teflon ring or a viton seal that might seal the shaft better. Butt with the low presure that this ring might have against it, a scarf cut seal ring might not seal this area. I have a local torque converter builder that has a welded converter that i can get to eleminate the bolt together converter (witch would also eleminate any leakage from the converter o-ring) But my buddy might not want this welded converter becuse it wouln't be stock. They didn't come out with a welded converter for a cast iron glide untill around the time they put out the 348 or the 409 engine. I'll be here if any one else has any ideas. c-ya sling

·
Registered
427 Posts

This is one from a 54. Similar but different.
I haven't had a chance to look in my "older" books. It will be Monday before I do.
As for the wear in the support. The input shaft can be machined to accept two rings.
Done it lots of times.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tk's stu. I have the same picture in my book. As far as maching another seal ring groove into the input shaft, that sound's better that machining the valve body. Can you refer me to a machine shop who can do this for me? Some one who has the experence to do this with out having a unfimilar shop try it? c-ya sling

Hey stu, i just looked at my input shaft and there isn't any room to put another groove in it. the diamater of the shaft is too small. Mabey a later modle input shaft or one out of a 348-409 will be a bigger diameter to add another ring groove. c-ya sling

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
55 cast iron powerglide

In 2004 i posted a thread on a leaking cast iron powerglide. I'v sence bought the car and i did install the 2 seal ring input shaft. and it still leak's. I had a tech who's built these trany's for over 40 year's rebuild this tranny and he said it shouln't leak. Well i tried twice to fix it and his once and it leak's worse that when i did it and it didn't cost me a grand when i did it. I'm talking about a leak 2 day's after i drive it not months. I still believe it's torque converter drain back. In 2 week's the leak is flowing under the door's on the floor and when you remove the drain plug you get you still get 6 quart's out of the sump. It leak's from the output seal, spedo cable (sence there is no seal in the adaptor for the spedo driven gear), kick down shaft, Band adj cap and some where on the right side cover. I recently pulled the front clip, engine, tran's and pulled off the body from the chassis and cleaned every thing spotless and painted the frame, underside and firewall of the body, (ppg was the only supplyer i could find who could mix up Dusk Rose) Painstakingly cleaned every inch of the underside, painted every item and reass. the car and now the trans is drenching the bottom of the body. I can't show this car and having to wipe off the trans oil off the body is a pain. I wanted to put a 700 r4 in it and everyone said leave it origional. I know i can build it and it won't leak, but i'v already got enough tied up in the glide that i could of done the 700.
Can anyone help my leaking glide
Tk's Slinger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.