Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1955 F100 with a 351 engine. Has anyone seen any combo like this and what do you know about it?

I am new to this so I don't even know- is this okay for a 55 to have a newer engine and does this effect the resale value?

And also, I have no idea how to find out the actual mileage of this engine, so is that important if I go to sell it? I always see mileage online for other hot rods, so not sure what to do if I cannot know that.

Thank you in advance for any help/knowledge you can provide.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Any modern motor could be an improvement. If it’s installed right. There’s lots of hackers out there. It could have been cut up to install the motor.
Post some pics of it.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Yes its possible to swap out a FE for a 351.

Lets start with pictures of the engine, transmission, and rearend to get an idea what were dealing with.

Just cause a engine is old doesn't mean its junk. Im not going to tell you to just rebuild something you may want to simply flip if it runs good. I also would not expect anything from the 50's to ride like something modern.

Just be honest about what you know and what you dont when selling it. Sell it as is of course.

The only issue that may come up is registration especially if you never had a title. Having a title makes things much simplier. Easier in some states then others.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, It looks like a Volare or Aspen transverse torsion bar front end. These are a great front suspension for a 50's Ford truck. They ride very good and are an easy swap with the complete suspension system and disk brakes. They fit very well, just depends on the quality of the fabricator. The 351W out of a truck or van is a good engine. The early 69 or 70 351 W were different and had superior blocks, however the later F.I. 351's are a good engine. They have decent power for a a truck like yours. I prefer a carburator, but to each his own.
What I do not like is a welded front end that tilts. This a cheap way to mount the front sheet metal and sometimes if not done correctly they never fit right.
Can't tell from the pictures, but the trans is possible a C6?. if so, great trans. Very reliable for a cruiser. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
After tearing apart a few Ford front clips (that one bolt inside the outer fender that when rusted can be a nightmare) and wishing I was working on a Chevy of the same year. I am all for this thing having a tilt front end.

Looks like a nice running truck and having fuel injection is a cool. But frankly I am not a fan of speed density(assuming it is stock). Its tune limited not that the factory alternative during these years was much better. But if it works and is wired halfway decent to run standalone then run it.
I am hoping that is not an AODE. They did some funky stuff with the wiring on AODE. If you have dealt with it you know what I mean. I think running a AODE standalone required a sacrificial goat in the late 90's.

Running things standalone are much easier now. As long as you dont have a mystery standalone box from the late 90's from a company that changed names 4 times before 2000 or the factory wiring wire nutted together it should be just fine.

The truck looks cool. My guess as far as price would be in the 5-12k range depending on body and how good/bad things are when it is going down the road at 60mph. Looks to be a good driver(if it has glass) that could cruise around all summer without much concern with only minimal work done to it.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,699 Posts
The ugly wheels, no front lower pan or bumper and the ricerboy headlights just made the value go down IMO.
That's all stuff that can be fairly easily fixed though.
If it's easily fixed, why would the price drop?
Your truck has good bones and looks good. It'll never have a front bumper cuz of the tilt front end, but you can easily add a front pan. I would have changed the headlights before posting pics, but that is just me. 😬

As for the motor, most of us with classic vehicles update all the running gear. Not much stock under my 58 TRUK

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
The body looks in great condition, motor and drivetrain look solid, glass looks good, and the thing looks like it could take a 500 mile roadtrip without issue.

I would list it for $9700 as it sits and have people fighting over it. Not taking any less then $8500.

Those rims don't belong on that truck (in my opinion). But things like new tires and rims often dont up the value enough to offset the cost if your flipping this.

Let the next person make it his/her own with rims they like and other things like paint and such. Listing it under 10k will attract more people and give you more profit then if you throw 5k into parts/paint that the next person may not like.

If your making this your own and want a guess on a assessment I would want around 12-14k of coverage to replace it as it sits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts