Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just purchased my 1st old Ford. I absolutely love it. 1955 Fairlane 2 dr hardtop
My questions Is about reproduction and new parts such as exterior trim. Is there any websites that specialize in old fords? I’m looking for the crown victoria roof trim and window trim. Is this something that’s available new reproduction or do I need to search for something used.
Any help and guidance would be appreciated.
thank you

·
Registered
210 Posts
There are a number of sources of 1955 parts out there but generally the stainless trim as far as I know isn't reproduced, but if I understand you correctly it sounds like you're looking to add the Crown Victoria trim on a 1955 2-door hardtop... I believe you're going to find you don't have the right roof to do that.

In 1955 Ford used body style 60 for the Fairland 2-door hardtop and body style 64 for the Crown Victoria. Body style 60 has a higher roofline, more like the sedans, where the body style 64 roofline is lower. From the belt-line up the windows roof and trim are generally common with Mercury, so the Montclair 2-door hardtop uses the same windshield and rear glass as it uses body style 64 but the 1955 Monterey uses the body style 60 roofline like the Fairland 2-door hardtop. It gets more confusing in 1956 when the body style 64 body gets used more, but getting into that might be straying too far from the topic at hand.

If you open your driver door and look at the data plate and it will have a section that shows body style, it will show something with a 60 in it or a 64 in it. If it's 64 you have the roofline for the crown vic trim if it's 60 then you'd find that the center pillar wouldn't reach from the bottom of the side windows to the top.

Setting that aside, if you had a body style 64 2-door hardtop, then there is also a body structure to the center pillar where the trim bolts on the inside and outside. Door glass and quarter window glass is different with different frames.

Or are you saying you have a Crown Victoria?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a number of sources of 1955 parts out there but generally the stainless trim as far as I know isn't reproduced, but if I understand you correctly it sounds like you're looking to add the Crown Victoria trim on a 1955 2-door hardtop... I believe you're going to find you don't have the right roof to do that.

In 1955 Ford used body style 60 for the Fairland 2-door hardtop and body style 64 for the Crown Victoria. Body style 60 has a higher roofline, more like the sedans, where the body style 64 roofline is lower. From the belt-line up the windows roof and trim are generally common with Mercury, so the Montclair 2-door hardtop uses the same windshield and rear glass as it uses body style 64 but the 1955 Monterey uses the body style 60 roofline like the Fairland 2-door hardtop. It gets more confusing in 1956 when the body style 64 body gets used more, but getting into that might be straying too far from the topic at hand.

If you open your driver door and look at the data plate and it will have a section that shows body style, it will show something with a 60 in it or a 64 in it. If it's 64 you have the roofline for the crown vic trim if it's 60 then you'd find that the center pillar wouldn't reach from the bottom of the side windows to the top.

Setting that aside, if you had a body style 64 2-door hardtop, then there is also a body structure to the center pillar where the trim bolts on the inside and outside. Door glass and quarter window glass is different with different frames.

Or are you saying you have a Crown Victoria?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info. My car has “victoria” on the side and the person I purchased from told me they are all Victoria’s and mine is a Fairland Victoria. I’m not to knowledgeable on old fords. I’m excited to learn about them tho. I will check the vin plate for either of those codes.
Thank you for the info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the vin tag and it is a “60” code. Thank u for the info.
can you point me in the direction of some parts websites? Repo Used’s or new.
Thank you

·
Registered
210 Posts
A solid resource is the Crown Victoria Association, their website has a lot of the good sources of repo parts. Dennis Carpenter has long been one of the major rubber parts sources, Concours, Macs, FRPS. They're all linked from here:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A solid resource is the Crown Victoria Association, their website has a lot of the good sources of repo parts. Dennis Carpenter has long been one of the major rubber parts sources, Concours, Macs, FRPS. They're all linked from here:

Thank you again. Do you have any wheel sizes for my car? I’d like to put a set of nice chrome rims. 15inch all the way around. Any thoughts on that? I was thinking of 215 R70x15
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
210 Posts
205/75R15 is what's listed when I look at Coker Tire. Original tire sizes would predate radial tire sizing of course. 15x5 wheels are the original size, I don't recall the bolt pattern but the bolt circle is smaller on Ford than Mercury.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts