Hot Rod Forum banner

1956 corvette disc brake conversion

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 ·
I have a 1956 corvette. I am converting to disc brakes front and rear. Do I have to pull the rear axle to do this? If so where can I find instructions to do so?
Thanks KParmenter

#2 ·
What disc brake kit are you installing? Some kits require you to install a backing plate that replaces the old backing plate. That will require the axle to be removed. At any rate, you are probably going to have to remove the old brake backing plate. This requires removing the four bolts that secure the axle retainer to the axle housing. It is not a big deal however. You may run into a little of a problem removing the axle after you pull the four bolts. The axle can be pursuaded to come out by attaching a length of heavy chain to a lug bolt and with a whipping motion jerk the chain.

Vince

#3 ·
Thank You. The kit is from ssbc. It is the force10 kit. It is on order and should arvie to me in two weeks. My shop manual does not show the rear axle disassembly. I have been trying to find a source or manual that shows the diy disassembly. Do you Know of a source? KParmenter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.