Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just TOTALLY rebuilt my 1956 Fairlane Front suspension, and brought ball joint nuts to correct torque. Just have the spindles installed and frame on stands. Cant turn spindles unless I reduce the torque. Everything is well greased. Should I be able to turn spindles as it sits? Does have power steering but that is not connected. Want to install disc brakes but do I have a problem?

· Registered
4,855 Posts
I would start with what the ball joints are for that are under the car. They may not be for your car just a part that "fits".

Ball joint torque can range from as low as 20lbs to 120ft/lbs(passenger car).

The orgional ball joints may have a torque rating higher then the ones your running so your applying more torque then intended.

I generally "crush" the balljoint with a bit excessive torque then loosen it before torquing again. The first time you may get some "sticking". But the second time is often good. Just makes up for cheap machine work or parts that "fit".

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start with what the ball joints are for that are under the car. They may not be for your car just a part that "fits".

Ball joint torque can range from as low as 20lbs to 120ft/lbs(passenger car).

The orgional ball joints may have a torque rating higher then the ones your running so your applying more torque then intended.

I generally "crush" the balljoint with a bit excessive torque then loosen it before torquing again. The first time you may get some "sticking". But the second time is often good. Just makes up for cheap machine work or parts that "fit".
Thanks for the response. I bought a complete front suspension rebuild pkg that was specificly for my car, but you may be correct in saying the new ball joints don't require the same torque (100ft lbs bottom/80ftlbs top). I've had these ball joints in and out several times making sure I had the assembly correct. Thought the issue may be happening because I would need more "leverage" by mounting a wheel, but there is no weight on the front suspension, just on the frame. I'll try contacting the seller for torque requirements. Thanks again, I will post the soloution when I get one.

· Registered
1,258 Posts
I got a ball joint kit for my '59 Ford and the lower ball joints were extremely tight. I like to turn the stud to make the cotter pins line up where I want them. These were offshore items. The next time I have it apart, I'm going with some NOS Moog ball joints. The grease boots have split on them anyway.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a ball joint kit for my '59 Ford and the lower ball joints were extremely tight. I like to turn the stud to make the cotter pins line up where I want them. These were offshore items. The next time I have it apart, I'm going with some NOS Moog ball joints. The grease boots have split on them anyway.
I purchased some polyurethane boots from Prothane Suspension parts and was pleased with them. Much thicker and fit nicely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts