Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the chance to buy a VERY nice 1958 Chevy DelRay. The floors have already been done, and there is virtually no rust anywhere except the bottom few inches of the rear quarters, but he is including new metal to fix that. Also comes with some extra stuff. Doors, grills, fenders, dash and a couple other things. Has a 283/3spd. couple questions. all glass is good, chrome is decent.

how much is it worth? (clear title, basicaly needs paint and seats)

how much does it weigh stock? ( i wanna put my TT383 in it, but not if it weighs so much it would be pointless and a waster of HP)

Are the '58 impala and biscayne parts pretty much "swapable"?

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
The chrome is different for sure, the rearend is the same. Some Impalas came with air ride suspension......all were convertibles, I believe.

As for weight, the Delray, if a 2dr sedan, is a quite light model......the lightest model of the bunch. A 4dr would be heavier.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Google to the rescue...........

"The 58 Chevrolet
Again, the 'Pathfinder' name like the 'Del Ray' was not carried over for ... Gross vehicle weight 3583 (G.V.W.) etc."

·
Registered
188 Posts
They weren't all verts, for sure there was at least a 2 door hardtop as well and probably other body styles. I cut the roof off a 2 door to make a vert several years ago. The rear end IS different as you can see in these photos. The trunk angles differently and the wings are longer on the Impala to accomodate the extra lights. All that metal on the rear is different. Not that it can't be changed but it's a job.

Larry

·
Building a 10 footer.
156 Posts
The Delray has post (2 door Sedan), Impala no post (2 door Hardtop).

I see them sell for as little as 1200, needing work. Finsished they tend to go for 13 to 16 g's.

Mine came with a 327 and I was told that it made the 58 move very well.

If it's a good price sounds like it is an easy fix to get on the road.

EDIT::: You can get just about anything you need at Auto City Classics. They specilize in the 58. :thumbup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I did a 58 Biscayne 2 dr Post (I step above the DelRay, and 1 below the the BelAire as far as price and options) in the early 90s. I did mine as a late 50's mild custom and had a 383 with tri-power, TH350 and depending on my mood would run either 3.55 or 3.08 gears.

I would more than hold it's own from stop light to stop light with the 3.55s.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had mine for 30 years now. The suppliers are making more products for these cars. Mine was a drag car from the 60's with a 283 and would run 7.70's in the 1/8 mile. What a wicked sounding motor. Now I have a 348 in it with a turbo 350 and 3.73 gears. Great street car. I am updating the braking and suspension now. http://chevychevy.com/pages/58_Chevy.htm and http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/ are two good places for parts and engine upgrades. There are a bunch more but half the fun is finding them.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
lbell101 said:
They weren't all verts, for sure there was at least a 2 door hardtop as well and probably other body styles. I cut the roof off a 2 door to make a vert several years ago. The rear end IS different as you can see in these photos. The trunk angles differently and the wings are longer on the Impala to accomodate the extra lights. All that metal on the rear is different. Not that it can't be changed but it's a job.

Larry
When you said "rearend" I assumed you meant the rear axle................I know the Impalas had hardtops....I meant the air ride ones were converts. BTW, the hardtop and convert were the only body styles for the Impala.......Not that it matters, we are talking about a Delray here.

·
Registered
585 Posts
comment on rear end ratio

As far as the rear end ratio,go with the 3.55 and a 700r4 that is if you pan on going the automatic route. The engine rpm will be about 2000 to 2200 at 70mph and still be really spiffy outta the hole. That's the set up in the car I have posted in my photo album on here. :thumbup: What ever you decide to do the 58 delray is way underrated really a cool old car fixed up. Brian :cool:

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
58Chev said:
Also came as an option on the hardtop. ;)

Exerpt from the following atricle: 58 HardTop W/Level Air

"This model was selected for testing because it is a brand-new one in theChevy lineup and was equipped with the new 348-Cubic-inch V-8 and air suspension."

Stand corrected.The only ones Iever saw were converts......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.