Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what late model Chevy trucks braking systems will work on a stock 1959 Chevy truck with drum brakes. I don't want to go the car front clip route because I don't care for that lowered look.

I have the chance to buy a no title Chevy 1/2 ton truck (cheap) and wondered if I could use the braking system from , if I purchased the adapters from CPP? Wouldn't mind changing the entire suspension but I heard its too wide.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I used the front frame clip from a 79 chev 1/2 ton and spliced it onto a 59 GMC frame right under the cab.
THe frames are almost identical. Same width, same shape but about 1/8 inch taller. Easy to do with a step splice. THe track is wider but I used some deeper backspacing wheels to keep the tires tucked inside the fenders. I mounted the booster and m/c on the firewall with some extra under dash bracing to stop the firewall from flexing. Built new mounts for the rad support to hang the front end on. Worked great. Must have been good as it's still driving around 20 years later with a blown bbc in it.
Biggest hurdle back 20 years ago was finding wheels. Lots of selection now.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
If you're going to use modern power steering; I'd consider an OEM Hydraboost setup (I think mid '90s 3/4 ton GM Trucks?). All kinds of help for the brakes, its a compact unit and OEM reliability and servicability. And a lot of those trucks had disc/drum front/rear; so make sure to get the proportioning valve etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.