Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi hotrodders, My name is garry. I live in ogden utah. My fifteen year old son david and my self are trying to restore a 59 vette. This is our first project, needless to say we're always banging our heads against the wall even though we're following the manuals.
we're delighted we found the hotrodders bulletin board site today and any help would be appreciated.

The first thing we are trying to figure out is what car our GM transmisson came out of. Pat. #3088336 and side case number is 3831701.

Second question is, when installing the driveshaft yoke onto the transmission spline, what is the minimum distance the yoke should go on the transmission spline. The yoke it is only going on approximatly one inch. Is this correct?
thank you

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
welcome Garry...Great to see that you and your son can do this together... there is a lot of knowledge here and should be of help to you.

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
yoke into transmission

Hi,ive always put the yoke all the way in,then back it out about 1 in,to allow for rear end movement. if drive shaft will not hook up,to rear end (too short) you will need a new drive shaft. it sounds like your driveshaft is about 2 inches too short. Im boatbob2

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Welcome to the site 59-vette. :welcome: Glad to hear you and your son are working on that Vette together. You will both remember these times forever! :thumbup:

Lots of info and opinions here. To get the most out of the site check out the Knowledge Base and use the search function for quick answers to your questions. As well check out the Project Journals for info and inspiration.

As this is the introduction forum you will get more exposure to your questions if you ask them in the Transmission - Rearend forum. Glad to have you here and enjoy the site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts